vfio used for a device it shouldn`t be used for

bolzerrr

Apr 11, 2019
Hello,

i have following configuration:
cat /etc/kernel/cmdline
root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs mitigations=off intel_iommu=on iommu=pt i915.enable_guc=3 i915.max_vfs=3

cat /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf
options vfio-pci ids=544d:6178

And that device get the correct module:
lspci -nnk | grep -A 3 02:00.0

02:00.0 Multimedia controller [0480]: TBS Technologies DVB Tuner PCIe Card [544d:6178]
Subsystem: TBS Technologies (wrong ID) DVB Tuner PCIe Card [6909:0001]
Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci

However for some reason vfio is used for my nvme with a totally different id:

lspci -nnk | grep -A 3 01:00.0

01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller [0108]: Micron Technology Inc 2300 NVMe SSD [Santana] [1344:5405]
Subsystem: Micron Technology Inc 2300 NVMe SSD [Santana] [1344:0100]
Kernel driver in use: vfio-pci
Kernel modules: nvme

Which should not be the case. How can this happen and how to prevent?

options vfio-pci ids=544d:6178
I think (never done it myself) that you missed a dot in that line, so it should really be:
Code:
options vfio-pci.ids=544d:6178
I believe this has caused it to only use vfio-pci without passing the id.

As kernel command line a dot is used. I added the subdevie id to harden it but still the nvme gets vfio-pci:

cat /etc/kernel/cmdline
root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs mitigations=off intel_iommu=on iommu=pt vfio-pci.ids=544d:6178:6909:0001 i915.enable_guc=3 i915.max_vfs=3

Do you (automatically) start a VM that has the NVMe passed through? Then Proxmox bind vfio-pci to the device (until a reboot or manually rebinding the right driver).
Do you have other .conf files in /etc/modprobe.d/ maybe? Any other scripts or cron jobs that might change the driver?
EDIT: Did you install and use driverctl in the past, maybe?

Last edited:
Have you tried your original configuration (first post) but with the dot I mentioned?
Yes thats wrong syntax:
update-initramfs -u -k all
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.8.8-2-pve
libkmod: ERROR ../libkmod/libkmod-config.c:712 kmod_config_parse: /etc/modprobe.d/vfio.conf line 1: ignoring bad line starting with 'options'

Do you (automatically) start a VM that has the NVMe passed through? Then Proxmox bind vfio-pci to the device (until a reboot or manually rebinding the right driver).
Do you have other .conf files in /etc/modprobe.d/ maybe? Any other scripts that might change the driver?

I don`t want to passthrough the nvme at all. But somehow as soon as i use vfio-pci the nvme get the module :oops:

I figured that the behaviour changes once i disable sr-iov for my GPU. Strange enough that the second nvme is not affected and working also with sr-iov in place.

Bash:
04:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller [0108]: Kingston Technology Company, Inc. KC3000/FURY Renegade NVMe SSD E18 [2646:5013] (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Kingston Technology Company, Inc. KC3000/FURY Renegade NVMe SSD E18 [2646:5013]
        Kernel driver in use: nvme
        Kernel modules: nvme

There is also a module param but it doesnt have any impact in my situation:

Bash:
options vfio-pci ids=544d:6178:6909:0001
options vfio-pci enable_sriov=1

I made a udev rule that does fix the issue:

Bash:
ACTION=="add|change", SUBSYSTEM=="pci", ATTRS{vendor}=="0x1344", ATTRS{device}=="0x5405", RUN+="/bin/sh -c 'echo 0000:01:00.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/unbind; echo 0000:01:00.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/nvme/bind'"

But seems to be too early or too late during boot, there i create a systemd:
Bash:
[Unit]
Description=Rebind NVMe Device to nvme Driver
DefaultDependencies=no
After=multi-user.target

[Service]
Type=oneshot
ExecStart=/bin/sh -c 'echo 0000:01:00.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/vfio-pci/unbind; echo 0000:01:00.0 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/nvme/bind;swapon /dev/disk/by-id/nvme-eui.000000000000000100a075212fb4ac3c-part5'
RemainAfterExit=yes

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

I don't like it too much but it is doing the job. It would be great if vfio-pci would stick to the configuration and only pick the device configured.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!