SOLVED: Very strange network problem. Please help.

starob

Jun 24, 2024
Hi,
I have a very strange network issue which I cannot solve. I'm looking for help in this forum hoping somebody has any idea what the cause could be. I'm not a Proxmox expert nor a networking expert but I have some networking knowledge and Proxmox experience.

My problem is that I have a shell script running that pings a specified IP address and logs errors if something is wrong. I can run multiple instances of this script in the background to check multiple IP addresses. The script has 2 parameters: IP address and ping wait time. I run it with "nohup ./watch_ip.sh IP_ADDRESS WAIT_TIME &". So for example I run "nohup ./watch_ip.sh 192.168.1.1 1 &". So far so good.

Now the strange issue: When I run this script on my Proxmox 8.2.4 host with specific IP addresses (192.168.1.250, 192.168.1.204, 192.168.1.205) the log file fills up with errors. When I run the same script with the same IP addresses from a LXC container on the same host no errors are logged ! What ???
Furthermore when I use other IP addresses on the PM host (i.e. 192.168.1.1) then no error is logged. Strange, isn't it?

The problematic IP addresses belong to a Fritzbox 7490 with 2 IP cameras connected. But again running the script from a container is no problem, just from the PM host. Also running the same script on another host on the same network is OK.

Notes:
- I disabled PCIe power management with kernel parameter "pcie_port_pm=off". This didn't help to solve the issue but I still left it active.
- I changed the PM host LAN cable which didn't help.
- dmesg logs several errors that might be related but I don't understand them.

System infos below and attached:

PM Host HW: Beelink Mini PC, 12th Gen Intel Alder Lake-N100 Prozessor (bis zu 3.40GHz), EQ12 Office Mini Computer, 8GB DDR5 500GB SSD Mini Desktop PC, Dual 2.5G Ethernet/Dual HDMI/WiFi 6/WOL/Auto Power On

ethtool output:

root@pve:~# ethtool enp2s0
Settings for enp2s0:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
2500baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Supported FEC modes: Not reported
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
2500baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Auto-negotiation: on
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: internal
MDI-X: off (auto)
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
drv probe link
Link detected: yes

This is the script:

Bash:
#!/bin/bash
# check and log if a host is reachable by ping

#CONFIGURATION

#IP of host
WATCH_IP=$1
# Time to wait for response in sec
WAIT_TIME=$2
#path to logfile
LOGFILE="/var/log/watchip-$1.log"
#duration between pings
PAUSE=1
#how many failed pings before log
TESTS=1

#SCRIPT

#initialize
MISSED=0
touch $LOGFILE

while true; do
  if ! ping -c 1 -W $WAIT_TIME $WATCH_IP > /dev/null; then
    ((MISSED++))
  else
    if [ $MISSED -ge $TESTS ]; then
      echo `date` '-' $WATCH_IP "is up again." >> $LOGFILE;
    fi
    MISSED=0
  fi;
  if [ $MISSED -eq $TESTS ]; then
    echo `date` "-" $WATCH_IP "is down."  >> $LOGFILE;
  fi
  sleep $PAUSE;
done

PM host dmesg output attached.

Attachments

• pm-host-dmesg-out.txt
    94.6 KB · Views: 4
The error scenario did not point to this but at end of the day it turned out that a flaky network cable caused these issues.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!