[SOLVED] Verify VirtIO driver working? - poor performance after enabling Bitlocker (only one vm, other is fine)

Jason2312312

Apr 2, 2024
After enabling BitLocker on a Windows Server 2019 VM, I noticed a significant decline in performance. Interestingly, I performed the exact same BitLocker encryption on a another 2K19 VM and observed no noticeable impact on its performance.

To troubleshoot, I updated the VirtIO driver, but the drivers are the same on both VMs and thus could not be updated. The performance degradation is similair to running the VM without the VirtIO driver.

This performance issue is evident even when the system is idling or by simply opening the Event Viewer, tasks that have no impact on the other VM's performance. Left is the VM with issues, on the right the VM which is running fine:
1720281979341.png1720282043520.png

1720282528024.png1720282289833.png

I will try to disable Bitlocker and see if the issue persists, in the worst case I have a backup I can restore,
but I would like to figure out what caused this issue as I see no evidence of the VirtIO driver malfunctioning.

Any insights in how to troubleshoot this further is greatly appreciated, I will update when I have disabled Bitlocker.

After enabling BitLocker on a Windows Server 2019 VM, I noticed a significant decline in performance.
It does that on storage that doesnt have Windows supported SED. Since virtio doesnt support sed passthrough (not afaik) its probably that you just have a different virtio configuration on your vms which explain the perceived difference in performance between your two vms.

It PROBABLY would work with a direct disk passthrough, assuming your disk is SED capable and supported by Windows, but at that point its probably better to just install windows on the metal.

Windows disable its writecache when AD role is enabled.

Last edited:
And.... I found the reason, I put the OS disk the NFS storage rather than the SSD. I feel stupid but this is how we learn righto_O
After moving it runs smoothly now :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!