Verify jobs - Terrible IO performance

blocksize is the same thing as recordsize???
No, recordsize is used for datasets. Volblocksize is used for zvol. When you set the "Block size" for a ZFS Storage in the PVE webUI it will only define what volblocksize will be used for new zvols.

After creating the pool I will

Code:
zfs set special_small_blocks=4K zfs
zfs set compression=lz4 zfs
zfs create zfs/PBS
zfs set recordsize=1M zfs/PBS
Sounds ok for PBS. But I would also use zfs set relatime=on zfs so not every read will cause an additional write.

then create the following I will mount for VM data
Code:
zfs create zfs/VMDATA
zfs set recordsize=16K zfs/VMDATA
That won't help. VMs are using zvols and zvols won't use recordsize. And the volblocksize isn't inherited, you will have to defne it for each virtual disk you create. And as usually PVE is creating the virtual disks for you, you should set the "Block Size" for the ZFS Storage in PVE to 16K, so PVE will create new virtual disks with a volblocksize of 16K.

do I use wwn-0x5000cca28f6d86a0 or scsi-35000cca28f6d86a0
Both will work. What you prefer.

I don't know if they changed it meanwhile, but the last few times I installed PVE I quite sure it wasn't.

I don't know if they changed it meanwhile, but the last few times I installed PVE I quite sure it wasn't.
You're right, it's off by default. Something that really should be changed, considering that for ext4 on linux, the default is to use relatime since about 20 years ...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!