Verify error right after backup

Sempiterna

Feb 2, 2014
Yesterday one of my VM backups resulted in the following verification error on PBS:

2022-10-13T08:06:20+02:00: TASK ERROR: unable to update manifest blob - unable to load blob '"/mnt/aabbcc/vm/450/2022-10-13T05:42:04Z/index.json.blob"' - No such file or directory (os error 2)

Proxmox VE sent me a mail stating the backup was succesful, but also added the following line:

450: 2022-10-13 07:48:40 WARN: unable to add notes - proxmox-backup-client failed: Error: unable to update manifest blob - Atomic rename failed for file "/mnt/aabbcc/vm/450/2022-10-13T05:42:04Z/index.json.blob" - Permission denied (os error 13)

The backup is also not listed in the backup list. The backup that was created today finished correctly.

Since this backup is missing in PBS, does that also mean the space occupied by the backup process has also been freed/cleaned up? Or will that be done at a later point during garbage collection? Or not at all? How does PBS handle a situation like this?

Hi,
Yesterday one of my VM backups resulted in the following verification error on PBS:

2022-10-13T08:06:20+02:00: TASK ERROR: unable to update manifest blob - unable to load blob '"/mnt/aabbcc/vm/450/2022-10-13T05:42:04Z/index.json.blob"' - No such file or directory (os error 2)
can you check (as root) if the file /mnt/aabbcc/vm/450/2022-10-13T05:42:04Z/index.json.blob really doesn't exist?

Proxmox VE sent me a mail stating the backup was succesful, but also added the following line:

450: 2022-10-13 07:48:40 WARN: unable to add notes - proxmox-backup-client failed: Error: unable to update manifest blob - Atomic rename failed for file "/mnt/aabbcc/vm/450/2022-10-13T05:42:04Z/index.json.blob" - Permission denied (os error 13)
That seems to be the root cause of the issue. The question is why permission for rename was denied. But even then, it seems that the file disappeared, which is even stranger. What kind of filesystem are you using? What mount options?

The backup is also not listed in the backup list. The backup that was created today finished correctly.
Did the backup from today also have notes set?

Please share the output of proxmox-backup-manager versions --verbose and the backup's task log on PBS.

Since this backup is missing in PBS, does that also mean the space occupied by the backup process has also been freed/cleaned up? Or will that be done at a later point during garbage collection? Or not at all? How does PBS handle a situation like this?
Yes, space from unreferenced chunks is freed during garbage collection.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!