[SOLVED] V2V - Windows 2008 R2 VMWare to Proxmox

Jan 29, 2022
Hi Everyone, I'm posting here in hopes I can find a solution to this problem.

Bit of background to this story.
HP Proliant 350 G5 Windows Server 2008 R2, required a P2V Migration and I didn't have a Proxmox Server at the location. Used the VMWare vSphere Stand Alone Converter and migrated the physical Windows Server 2008 R2 to VMWare ESXi 7.0. The migration was successful and the server is booting just fine in VMWare.

Current situation.
I'm trying to perform a V2V Migration VMware to Proxmox of the Windows Server 2008 R2 VM. I made sure to download & Execute MergeIDE on the Windows Server 2008 R2 VM. Used the VMware OVF Tool 4.4 to migrate the Windows Server 2008 R2 VM from VMWare to an external USB Drive and created my OVF successfully. To make sure the OVF was created successfully, I deployed the OVF to another VMWare Server and it Deployed without errors and its booting fine. I connected the USB to the Proxmox VE Server, moved the .ovf, .vmdk files and performed the import with the command "qm importovf 100 /ZFS_Storage/exported-vm.ovf ZFS_Storage". The import ends without errors.

On my first Boot of the VM, I was not aware that I needed to Detach the HDD and added again as IDE. So I was getting BSOD with error 0x7D as soon as I powered on the VM.

Deleted the VM, Imported again and this time I Detached the HDD and added again as IDE. The server was able to boot, but after a minute I started getting BSOD error 0x50. Tried Booting in "Safe Mode" but same thing happens.

Thought I needed to create a VM from scratch and just import the VMDK but still same error. I have imported the VMDK as raw, qcow2, vmdk, same result.

Tried changing the OS Type to Vista/2008 and that helped, it now takes 2 minutes for the BSOD to come again. (hey, its something hehehe)

At the moment of writing this post, I'm installing Windows VirtIO Drivers in the original VMWare Windows Server 2008 R2 VM and going to start the process of exporting the OVF again, but don't know if there might be anything else I might be missing. I have read hundreds of posts in the forums and nothing.

Tried following Migration of servers to Proxmox VE, but still, same results.

Any idea if using Clonezilla to create an image of the VM and then deploying it in proxmox would work? If I use this method, do I need to sysprep this machine? if so, then this wont work :(

I'm new to Proxmox, so my apologies in advance if I have no idea what you are talking about or if I missed something really obvious.

Last edited:
hi,

can you post the VM config? qm config VMID (where VMID = your windows VM)

and also your pveversion -v output please :)

Any idea if using Clonezilla to create an image of the VM and then deploying it in proxmox would work?
it should work for getting the disk imported, but you have that already?
do I need to sysprep this machine?
and i guess you wouldn't have to.

Reactions: adelaespriella
Hi @oguz

It seems it was a problem with having proxmox virutalized for these tests. The moment I installed it on its own hardware and I manually created the VM and imported the VMDK and attached it as IDE it all worked. :) I then added the SCSI drivers and the rest is history. its working now.

TYVM

Hi @oguz

It seems it was a problem with having proxmox virutalized for these tests. The moment I installed it on its own hardware and I manually created the VM and imported the VMDK and attached it as IDE it all worked. :) I then added the SCSI drivers and the rest is history. its working now.

TYVM
great, you're welcome!

and thanks for sharing the solution, you can mark the thread as [SOLVED] so others know what to expect as well ;)

Reactions: adelaespriella

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!