Using vm's on the same host machine

thereisnone

Aug 18, 2024
Hey everyone, Is someone running the vm's graphically on the same host machine as proxmox?

I'm planning to test running it as the core os but i didn't figure out a way to make the computer usable last time without installing a desktop manager onto it, and nested virtualization felt stupid for what i needed.

Scenario: I need my wife to be able to connect and work on a windows vm on the same machine.
Right now i'm hosting it with hyper-v on a windows host itself but it feels a bit stupid to have an entire win installation sitting just for using the hyper-v services I've looked at this https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Workstations_with_Proxmox_VE_and_X11

But the hardly upgradable system notice threw me off a bit, i'm not sure how likely it is going to be causing issues for me?

Alternatively I saw a post mentioning spice, is this something you can run to view and use a virtual machine without the desktop environment installed?

Last edited:
But the hardly upgradable system notice threw me off a bit, i'm not sure how likely it is going to be causing issues for me?

Well.., PVE is Debian plus the Proxmox software. Of course modifying this base installation massively (by adding a Desktop) will result in an untested construct and may be more difficult to manage than a vanilla installation. But that is where the fun begins! :cool:

I have set up a kind of that "Developer Workstation" on a not-so-new NUC on Wayland with Sway with a 4K Display. Using Spice I can run several different Distros (only Linux) on separate Full-Screen Desktops with the native 4K Resolution and I can switch between them with a simple Hotkey. "Super-3" is Mint, "Super-4" is Ubuntu" and so on. I did not try Windows (who needs that?) but I am fairly sure it will work identically. Note that "3D-Acceleration" or graphic performance is not relevant to me.

This construct works well for my use case, but this system is not my daily driver. I use it just occasionally - for testing purposes. Your mileage may (and will) vary!

A lot of experiments are successful with this great software. But please... use non-production-critical hardware for entering this experimental stage and/or have reliable backups. ;-)

Alternatively I saw a post mentioning spice, is this something you can run to view and use a virtual machine without the desktop environment installed?
No. As mentioned I use Spice to have different OS's on the same physical screen. The basis for the visible Spice-Display is a graphical OS. In my case it is Debian + Wayland. You may use Windows (on another machine or on a Laptop or ...) for this.

Spice is "just" a better "Remote Desktop Protocol"-alternative, requiring a Spice-client to display a remote desktop on a local physical screen :)

Well.., PVE is Debian plus the Proxmox software. Of course modifying this base installation massively (by adding a Desktop) will result in an untested construct and may be more difficult to manage than a vanilla installation. But that is where the fun begins! :cool:

I have set up a kind of that "Developer Workstation" on a not-so-new NUC on Wayland with Sway with a 4K Display. Using Spice I can run several different Distros (only Linux) on separate Full-Screen Desktops with the native 4K Resolution and I can switch between them with a simple Hotkey. "Super-3" is Mint, "Super-4" is Ubuntu" and so on. I did not try Windows (who needs that?) but I am fairly sure it will work identically. Note that "3D-Acceleration" or graphic performance is not relevant to me.

This construct works well for my use case, but this system is not my daily driver. I use it just occasionally - for testing purposes. Your mileage may (and will) vary!

A lot of experiments are successful with this great software. But please... use non-production-critical hardware for entering this experimental stage and/or have reliable backups. ;-)

No. As mentioned I use Spice to have different OS's on the same physical screen. The basis for the visible Spice-Display is a graphical OS. In my case it is Debian + Wayland. You may use Windows (on another machine or on a Laptop or ...) for this.

Spice is "just" a better "Remote Desktop Protocol"-alternative, requiring a Spice-client to display a remote desktop on a local physical screen :)
Thanks a lot for sharing this with me, i think i will for the simplicity's sake (because i have access to multiple gpu's) just create a passtrough for the wife's windows machine and route it directly via hdmi to the monitor, this should give her the most native and performant experience I believe.

As for the rest of the virtual machines, i can access or manage from my own main machine.

I got this idea from purveying some posts on here and i believe it will be the optimal solution for this use case! :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!