Using Vlan for IoT Network (edge network) with Proxmox on Internal Network

myatix

Sep 17, 2024
Hi All,

I was wondering if someone can tell me how I configure Proxmox VE 8.2.2 to use a VLan IoT network for a number of my VM's and containers?

I can see under the Proxmox GUI that there is a VNet tab as well as a networking tab on each node.

I have the following network topology configured on a Ubiquiti Edge Router 4.

Core Network: 192.168.1.0/24
IoT Network: 192.168.2.0/24
Guest Network: 192.168.3.0/24
potentially others in the future...

I would like to configure the Proxmox servers with an internal IP (192.168.1.0) and then have the posibility to add various VM's to the various Vlans.

Eth0 = WLAN
Eth1= Internal Network
Eth2= Vlans
Eth2.2 (IoT)
Eth2.3(Guest)
Eth3 = Not in use

What would be the best solution in terms of configuring various VM's with IoT and Internet facing services?

At present my IoT vnet has all my IoT devices such as Apple TV, Sonos, Smart lights, Solar Inverter etc etc... I would also like to add a Home Assistant to this IoT network (perhaps it should be internal but with all the IoT devices being on the 192.168.2.0 network it probably makes more sense to have the HA on the same network.

I am very new to Proxmox and Home Assistant so any tips on how to set this up and ports that I might need to open in my firewall would be greatly appritiated.

Thanks!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!