Using the subnet broadcast address for clustering instead of Multicast?

Maxnet

Aug 6, 2009
www.noc-ps.com
The Wiki mentions:

All nodes must be in the same network as it uses IP Multicast to communicate between nodes (See also Corosync Cluster Engine). Note: Some switches does not support IP multicast by default and must be manually enabled first.

Was wondering if I could get around having to mess with the switch configuration, by telling Corosync to use the broadcast address for its communication instead of multicast.
I recall it has an option for that.

Does the Proxmox cluster stuff generate a lot of traffic, or are there any other reasons why one wouldn't go the easy way and use the broadcast address?

Does the Proxmox cluster stuff generate a lot of traffic,

What exactly is 'a lot'?

or are there any other reasons why one wouldn't go the easy way and use the broadcast address?

corosync/cman use multicast as default. If you want other settings you can simple set them in /etc/pve/cluster.conf

# man cman

Does that work for you?

What exactly is 'a lot'?

Was just wondering whether it sends a negligible amount, e.g. just a packet a second for each node to see if all nodes are still up.
If that's the case, I wouldn't mind if servers that are not part of the cluster receive the traffic as well.

"a lot" meaning things like fancy distributed file systems that would send a packet for each write inside a VM.

corosync/cman use multicast as default. If you want other settings you can simple set them in /etc/pve/cluster.conf

# man cman

Does that work for you?

Looks good, will try it out later.
I wonder why corosync uses multicast as default. Would think that a default that does not require any special switch configuration would be better.

I wonder why corosync uses multicast as default. Would think that a default that does not require any special switch configuration would be better.

Would you mind to ask on the corosync list (I am curious too)?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!