Using multiple ethernet ports for VMs as opposed to one?

liamlows

Jan 9, 2020
Hey guys,

So a couple weeks ago I decided to start hosting some of my servers that were on a rented VPS at home via a nice homelab solution. I managed to pickup a used poweredge r430 with some nice internals for a couple hundred bucks and its worked like a charm so far (minus the initial driver updates o_O) and I'm using proxmox for the first time as it seems like an awesome hypervisor!

Currently I am running the interface installed on RAID 5 across 4x600GB drives (configured via onboard H730) and have a few vms running (media server, web servers, game servers). I was poking around the network settings (since the server has 4 gigabit ethernet ports off the back) and noticed that they are listed in proxmox but 3 are not being used, they currently have no cables plugged into them.

I was wondering if there is or could be any benefit to using the other 3 ports as well? Also, how I would go about setting them up? Right now I could see it being useful for the following reasons (please correct me if I'm wrong):
  • using dedicated ethernet ports for specific VMs to increase performance to clients (in my case maybe the media server as it can have up to 3 clients on at a given time)
  • having the ports work together to improve general network performance for the entire PVE. Basically plugging in the ports and having one "bridge" (probably the wrong term) pool all them together for use across all VMs.
  • seperating at least one port for panel access and using the other(s) to run the VMs.
Any advice is appreciated as I am still learning and reading documentation on all of it (proxmox, r430, etc.). For right now I have no issues really using just one, I was just curious if I could be getting more out of my setup! :D

Thanks guys!

P.S. see attached for screenshot of my current network config

1578571305264.png

you need to create a bond with multiple enoX interfaces, then put the bond in vmbr0
Awesome! So would I essentially just create a linux bond with all the eno ports as slaves (also set up IP information) and then edit the current bridge (vmbr0) to use bond0 instead of eno1? (see attached photos for config)
Also, should I be changing the ip address used by the bridge then since the bond will be using that IP? or is it fine to leave it?

Thanks again for all the help!

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 12.27.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 12.28.22 PM.png

from your last screenshot, simply remove ip address + gateway from the bond interface, and keep them in the bridge.
So I tried it and everything was fine with proxmox but the VMs no longer had access to the internet, I assume there was additional configuration needed there maybe? Do you by any chance might know whats up?
Thanks!

Hi, @liamlows. I find myself looking for answers to the same questions that you asked in your original post. The replies that came in are all very helpful, but no one seemed to mention the benefit of using more than 1 port.

Its been a while since you posted the question but I was hoping maybe you managed to find an answer?

My very basic Proxmox server uses an integrated nic (built into the motherboard). Its starting to act up so I'm on the hunt for a new dedicated card and trying to figure out whether to get a card with just 1 port or a card with multiple ports (2 or 4).

I know the fact that I'm even asking suggests that I probably don't have a need for multiple ports, but I see people with this setup all the time and it would be nice to know why they do that.

Thanks in advance.

You want quick explanations ?
Your first answer has pointed me in the right direction to find the answers myself, but yes, if you don't mind, a quick explanation would be appreciated. It will help future searchers I think. For instance, when I did a Google search for "Using multiple ethernet ports proxmox" - this was the first result :)

Reactions: Pierre-Yves
Multiple NICs do not always mean bonding the cards.

Many people that use Proxmox use it to run VM for clients of such services as web hosting, application hosting and various other service.

In many of those cases, they will assign multiple nics to different subnets, such as eno1/vmbr0 to public, eno3/vmbr1 to private (like a 10.x.x.x) for things like access to NAS or maybe sql/mysql, and they might use the third NIC for the corosync traffic, etc. The possibilities are only limited in scope to the network design based on needs.

There are a number of reasons why this sometimes makes sense, such as not exposing the NAS, sql or other application server to the public in any way

(Too bad the development folks have never seen how helpful it would be to provide the summary graphs in independent graphs since the host software does a fantastic job of keeping all this traffic separate, except in the graph which would help pin down which subnet could possibly have an issue if one arises.)

I also have considered bonding additional cards on the certain subnets, but so far have not found the need, but I often check back to this forum on a regular basis to read the questions, thoughts, and case histories of ways others make the best use of Proxmox to see if anything ever changes my mind on that.

Last edited:
Gee, then I guess if a broadcast storm happened, the graphs for each individual card would show which card it is, except Proxmox does the math and adds them together on a single graph.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!