Using iser instead of tcp as a transport for iscsi?

hdemmink

Jun 8, 2010
I am using scsi-target to serve LUN's to a cluster of proxmox ve boxes. They are networked via infiniband adapters, and currently working using ipoib. I'd like to get higher performance using native infiniband, but in order to do so I need to convince proxmox ve to tell open-iscsi to use iser as a transport instead of tcp by default.

I've tried putting:

iface.transport_name = iser
node.transport_name = iser

in /etc/iscsi/iscsid.conf, but that doesn't work. I think the individual node configs are overriding it. How can I make proxmox ve use iser instead of tcp as the transport_name?

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but since no one else answered, and I had to figure this out for myself, maybe this will help someone else.

I just got this working, here's the process:

On the iSCSI target, make sure that iSER is setup.

login to each PVE node and run the following:
# iscsiadm --mode node --logoutall=all
# iscsi_discovery <target IP address> -t iser -l
Then create your iSCSI/LVM config using the Proxmox GUI as normal.

I have not tested to see if this is persistent across node reboots. If it isn't, then I presume it could be addressed via an init script.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!