Using dropbox as a storage destination for PBS

krikey

Aug 15, 2018
UK
I'd be interested in opinions of using Dropbox or any other cloud based storage solution as a location for PBS chunks/backups.

I was considering using dbxfs and mounting the dropbox account as a folder within PBS. As the chunks are ~4mb, max file size wouldn't be an issue.

Has anyone achieved this with Dropbox or any other cloud solution?

While I could imagine to use a remote storage solution like Dropbox for storing classic vzdump files... I would not expect it to work for a PBS datastore.

PBS needs IOPS. It recommends to use local SSDs because of this reason. (https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/installation.html#system-requirements)

Try benchmarking the IOPS for a mounted Dropbox folder. On the long run, not peak for a few seconds - there are probably caches involved. The results would be interesting; please post in [CODE]...[/CODE]-tags :)

Code:
fio --name=randrw  --ioengine=libaio  --direct=1 --bs=4k --iodepth=16 --size=8G --rw=randrw --rwmixread=5 --gtod_reduce=1 --runtime=1200

"fio" has a lot of options, this is just a random example, possibly unsuitable for a test with Dropbox. For more see: https://fio.readthedocs.io/en/latest/fio_doc.html

Disclaimer: I am not a Dropbox user

Reactions: krikey
That makes sense as PBS uses some kind of chunk comparison system to reduce bandwidth I believe but reducing bandwidth means increased CPU and IO to determine if a chunk is still the same.

I'll update this ticket with my findings when I've had the chance to run some tests.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!