Using Both Ports on a Dual NIC Separate IPs

rbeard.js

Aug 11, 2022
Hello!

On all our servers we have a dual port 10G NIC. I would like to use one port to pass to the VMs and the other to handle management and migration between my cluster and backup server.
The VMs are on a .79.xxx network and the management network is going to be a 10.1.10.xxx network with VLANs set in our switches to handle routing.
I am having some trouble setting this up though. Im seeing that proxmox only allows for one default gateway. Does that mean there is no way to have two different IPs on different subnets coming out of my proxmox boxes?
How would I go about achieving the goals we are going for with a management network and a VM network separated completely?

You can use the second 10G port with an unnumbered bridge, i.e. a bridge without IP address.
Hi there!

Thank you for the suggestion! I set this up in proxmox and fired up a test windows machine that had the vmbr1 device passed to it only.
The machine pulled and IP from DHCP which is awesome and what we need, but its not pingable from machines outside of the VM. The VM can ping google and the internet as well as the devices on my network just fine though.
What else do I need to add to my network config to allow machines on my network to see the VM?

I have a similar question...

I also have a sever with 2 10 GbE interfaces. One of them is connected to the internet switch on 1GbE port. The ethernet controller on NAS are: "Intel Corporation Ethernet Controller 10G X550T"

I want to use the other one to connect directly to my Windows computer to access the NAS directly on its' own 10GbE port..

I use ASUS ProArt x570 motherboard, so I have 2.5GbE connected to the switch. There is "Marvell FastLinQ Edge 10Gbit Network Adapter" on it currently connected via cable to my NAS.

Although I'm not sure how to configure it to access NAS. Do you have any suggestion?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!