Use same ZFS mirror for installation and VMs

s1l3nce

Jan 19, 2024
Hello,

I'm planning on building a PVE in two SATA SSDs in a ZFS mirror configuration (probably some second hand Intel DC S3610 or DC S4600). My question is if I could use the same mirror for VMs or if I should separate them. If it's better to keep them separated, how much space would I need for a Proxmox mirror install? Would small drives (under 100 GB) be good enough?

And if I still decide to keep the install and the VMs in the same mirror, what's the worst that could happen? A small reduction in performance?

Lastly, is it a good idea to buy the S3610 drives? or are there better alternatives nowadays?

Thank you for the help

My question is if I could use the same mirror for VMs
Sure!

While my professional cluster separates OS from data/VMs "as it should be", my homelab with some Mini-PCs lacks the required number of connectors for some more disks.

The standard installation of PVE on two identical disks (be it NVMe or Sata) will give you one single ZFS pool called "rpool". This single pool will hold everything - the OS, directory storage for (for example) .iso's and blockdevices for virtual disks.

Works great for me - nevertheless: ymmv.

Reactions: s1l3nce
Thank you UdoB! My plan is just to have 2 or 3 VMs (not even working simultaneously) and a fourth vm running Unraid with its own drives and nvme's.

Are the Intel's S3610 still a good choice? Or are there newer better alternatives that might have a similar price?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!