[SOLVED] Use replication network

drjaymz@

Jan 19, 2022
Hi, I have a 3 node network and each node has two networks the primary 1Gbit and a secondary 10Gbit. We are using the secondary for replication. A backup server also has both these networks. Can the backups be made to go via the backup network?

At the moment I think they are going via the primary which even though its quite efficient is still a lot of traffic.

My configuration is:

1679647028703.png

So the replication network is not a bridge - which I believe was the correct way to set it up for the way I currently have it but maybe not for getting the backup to go via the backup network.
I did google the heck out of this and I cannot get a single answer that actually mentions options that I can match to what I actually see on my UI.

I find it odd that the documentation makes a fuss about using a second network for replication for PVE then when we read the documention for backup server instead it makes a fuss about limiting the rate at which we pull data to make the backups. You'd think it would make sense if they used the same language to talk about the same thing.

It may well be that the backups are already going via the migration network - but thats almost impossible to tell using cli ip command - you'd need to see a graph.

Can the backups be made to go via the backup network?
Hi,
which NIC/network is used to backup from PVE to PBS will depend on your routing/network setup. If the PBS storage on PVE side is configured to use the IP network of the 10G NICS, traffic will go trough that interface.

Last edited:
so... SInce thats configured as 200.5 I guess that means as per my last point - it probably already is working that way.

1679650202716.png

And in fact, this confirms that the only way it can communicate with the PBS is via the replication network since 200 can't get to our 80 subnet.

Awesome. That means it should all be fine and I can put my feet up.

so... SInce thats configured as 200.5 I guess that means as per my last point - it probably already is working that way.

View attachment 48373

And in fact, this confirms that the only way it can communicate with the PBS is via the replication network since 200 can't get to our 80 subnet.

Awesome. That means it should all be fine and I can put my feet up.
Yes, seems fine. You could use e.g. tcpdump to verify that the traffic is indeed going through that interface

I used ip command and when you do a backup that ramps up convincingly.
It would be better if the network graphs show the interface breakdown.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!