use case for containers without snapshot?

floh8

Jul 27, 2021
I read some threads according container usage and the base tone say dont use container for security reasons. I prefere glusterfs over ceph, because of the missing deduplication in ceph. But glusterfs is not well implemented so snapshot is missing and thats a miss for backup and ofcourse snapshot itself of the container.
So my question ist when i want to use glusterfs which use case exist then for container? All application use sql server or similar where snapshot is important i think.

Containers have been mostly thought of as "disposable infrastructure". Meaning, they can be lost/destroyed and easily rebuilt from the manifest. The idea is that once you create a container it shouldn't change. If you need to change it - update the manifest and build a new one. Taking snapshot of a container is, in most cases, not helpful.

If you truly need persistent storage for your containers, then you should find the backend storage with a good support that doesn't require hacks and workarounds.

Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

can you give an example of such a persistent storage? Oh, i see blockbridge is the advice. thanks

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!