USB Permissions in LXC Container Reset on Hotplug

Wayside

Sep 28, 2024
Container Type: Privileged.

I've been searching around for a while now on this, but I can't seem to get my three character devices to retain their permissions when they reset. I have the following set in my configuration file at /etc/pve/lxc:

Code:
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 166:* rwm
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: c 189:* rwm
lxc.cgroup2.devices.allow: a 81:* rwm

lxc.mount.entry: /dev/bus/usb/001 dev/bus/usb/001 none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Klipper_stm32h743xx_2B001A000A51303339323537-if00 dev/SKR3EZ none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /etc/lxc/100/devices/PIPICO dev/PIPICO none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /etc/lxc/100/devices/SKRPICO dev/SKRPICO none bind,optional,create=file
lxc.mount.entry: /etc/lxc/100/devices/WEBCAM dev/v4l/by-id/WEBCAM-index0 none bind,optional,create=file

The first entry uses the /dev/serial/by-id entry directly, while the two character devices below it use a symlink which points to said entries. These are MCUs for a 3D printer. When issuing a command to reset the firmware, all device permissions are lost. They can be manually reassigned with chmod, but I'd like to avoid doing this. I tried setting a udev rule for one of the devices:

Code:
ATTRS{idVendor}=="1d50", ATTRS{idProduct}=="614e", ATTR{serial}=="2B001A000A51303339323537", MODE="0774", SYMLINK+="SKR3EZ", GROUP="dialout"

But this didn't help. Have I overlooked something?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!