USB passthrought issues!

wolframio

Dec 15, 2021
Hello! I am having problems with the pass through of the USB devices, there are two wireless network cards...

The thing is that the cards work correctly for a while and after a few hours they die (as if they were turned off), they also disappear from the peoxmox web interface (where you configure the USBs in the VM).

I have already tried different USB ports and the problem continues to occur.

When I reinsert the cards and restart the VM they work again for a while and then fail.

I attach an image of the errors that are shown to me in the VM that appear even when the cards are working correctly.

What can be? any advice?

Thank you!

Screenshot_3.jpg

could it be that there is a thermal problem? i.e. the adapters get too hot? also can you post a bit more from the dmesg? maybe there is some driver problem...

Reactions: wolframio
Thnaks for the reply!!!

Here is the output of dmesg, i have to attach it as txt file because is too long, but show many USB errors!

Attachments

• logs.txt
    221.9 KB · Views: 2
what you could do is to try to disable auto powermanagement on the host for the device, for that you'd have to do

Code:
echo on > /sys/bus/usb/devices/<usb-id>/power/control
by default some devices are on 'auto' which might put the device in a standby mode and could interfere...

aside from that i can see some errors like this

Code:
device descriptor read/64, error -32 
device not accepting address 14, error -32

which sounds like hardware issues (usb/mainboard)... what kind of devices are these (the usb dongle and the mainboard mainly)

what you could do is to try to disable auto powermanagement on the host for the device, for that you'd have to do

Code:
echo on > /sys/bus/usb/devices/<usb-id>/power/control
by default some devices are on 'auto' which might put the device in a standby mode and could interfere...

aside from that i can see some errors like this

Code:
device descriptor read/64, error -32
device not accepting address 14, error -32

which sounds like hardware issues (usb/mainboard)... what kind of devices are these (the usb dongle and the mainboard mainly)
they are USB dongles, one with internal antena and other with external, how i know the <usb-id>? wich comand?

this is what i get on dmesg when i plug one dongle:
Code:
[780494.811970] usb 2-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 24 using ehci-pci
[780494.916579] usb 2-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=0cf3, idProduct=9271, bcdDevice= 1.08
[780494.916597] usb 2-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=16, Product=32, SerialNumber=48
[780494.916602] usb 2-1.2: Product: USB2.0 WLAN
[780494.916607] usb 2-1.2: Manufacturer: ATHEROS
[780494.916610] usb 2-1.2: SerialNumber: 12345
[780494.917306] usb 2-1.2: ath9k_htc: Firmware ath9k_htc/htc_9271-1.4.0.fw requested
[780495.274107] usb 2-1.2: ath9k_htc: Transferred FW: ath9k_htc/htc_9271-1.4.0.fw, size: 51008
[780496.812373] usb 2-1.2: ath9k_htc: USB layer deinitialized
root@R420:/sys/bus/usb/devices#

Thanks!

EDIT: is this one?

Code:
cat /sys/bus/usb/devices/2-1.2/power/control
on
root@R420:/sys/bus/usb/devices/2-1.2/power#

Last edited:
EDIT: is this one?
yes, but it seems it isn't in 'auto' mode already

are they working on the host alone without passing through?
are they behaving the described way regardless of guest OS (e.g. windows/debian/ubuntu) ?

it would be interesting if different guest OS or the host makes a difference here, because if not, it's most likely a hardware issue?

yes, but it seems it isn't in 'auto' mode already

are they working on the host alone without passing through?
are they behaving the described way regardless of guest OS (e.g. windows/debian/ubuntu) ?

it would be interesting if different guest OS or the host makes a difference here, because if not, it's most likely a hardware issue?
i will test for a while on a windows 10 LTSC VM.

This happend on a VM with Debian 12 with USB PASSTHROUGHT, passing the "USB port" or the "USB device" make no difference.

ok, i test it with windows guest OS, same issue. There severals issues when proxmox try to take control over the USB device aghain.

As a test; stop passthrough & run the host for several hours & check for issues with the USB adapters.

USB passthrough is not that stable compared to pci passthrough. However, USB passthrough is more convenient.

My suggestion is trying to find out the pci address that the usb port uses and pass through the whole pci if possible. Some motherboard have really good layout and it's easy to work with. If the iommu isn't that great, it's then a little bit tricky.
I had the same issues and I ended up with passing through the whole pci to different vms. This is more stable than individual usb ports.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!