USB passthrough

TErxleben

Renowned Member
Oct 20, 2008
I would like to pass an USB device (here specifically a smart card reader) that is connected to a PVE to several Windows VMs in parallel.
Is that possible? Does anyone have experience implementing this requirement?

Last edited:
I would like to pass an USB device (here specifically a smart card reader) that is connected to a PVE to several Windows VMs in parallel.
If they were physical machines, you would get a USB switch that allows you to connect all machines to the same USB device and select which machines gets the device via a knob or buttons.
You can do the same with virtual machines using a USB switch and USB passthrough (or even a software switch) but you still can only use the device with a single machine at a time.

I have 7 VMs here that want to use a smart card reader. However, only one at a time. Only the smart card should be changed on the reader of the PVE server. I don't want to connect 7 readers via hub.

I have 7 VMs here that want to use a smart card reader. However, only one at a time. Only the smart card should be changed on the reader of the PVE server. I don't want to connect 7 readers via hub.
Use USB passthrough like normal but only to one VM at a time? Make sure to enable USB in the VM Options > Hotplug. Here is more information about USB passthrough: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/USB_Devices_in_Virtual_Machines
Or write a script that moves the USB passthrough of the device from one VM to another (using command-line or Proxmox REST API).

Reactions: MarkusF
Use USB passthrough like normal but only to one VM at a time? Make sure to enable USB in the VM Options > Hotplug. Here is more information about USB passthrough: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/USB_Devices_in_Virtual_Machines
Or write a script that moves the USB passthrough of the device from one VM to another (using command-line or Proxmox REST API).
So only pass the USB ID to the desired VMs? It would be great if it worked. That would be my ideal solution too. I'll try it.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!