USB passthrough kills VM instantly. Any advice?

exp

Jul 20, 2023
I have set up a vanilla Windows 10 VM and installed iMazing, an iTunes extension to backup iPhones over Wifi. The first sync has to be over USB.

I started connecting iPhone to PVE and then passing through USB port. The VM instantly dies and I do not see any bluescreens, logs or messages. In Proxmox, it just goes offline. noVNC says "VM not started" and remote desktop just disconnects.

I then tried spice. I tried it with both Windows and Linux and the same issue occurs.

Any advice how to figure out what's going wrong?
Are there any USB related options or tweaks I could try?

What is the host device and can you post the tail of the log?

I would crash it and give us a dump of the system log from a bit before/after the event.

Host is HP EliteDesk 800G3 DM with Proxmox 8.

I would crash it and give us a dump of the system log from a bit before/after the event.

Part of my question is where can I more details/logs? "dmesg" did not show anything. /var/log/syslog does not exist. Not sure where else to look...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!