USB Drive For Backups

matthew

Renowned Member
Jul 28, 2011
I am installing Proxmox on a HP DL380 which has a raid controller and 8 drives. I plan on putting all 8 drives on RAID 6 for speed and protection. I also want to run weekly snapshot backups to a USB connected external hard drive. Will that work or will there be problems running backups to a USB drive? Am I better off only using RAID 6 on 7 drives and using the 8th drive for backups?

We had two servers backing up to USB disks for a couple years.
Sometimes( once in about 8 weeks) USB would be flaky and things not work as expected requiring a trip to the data center to unplug and replug the USB cable.
We switched from USB to eSATA, that has worked flawless, our drive dock supported both.

A USB drive should work just fine, but not all USB hardware is created equal.
I think our drive dock we have just had flaky USB support.

I do not endorse this product as I've never used it but we have something similar to this that supports USB or eSATA:
http://kingwin.com/products/cate/docking_stations/dm_2535u.asp

We also used cryptsetup to encrypt the disks and we rotate them offsite weekly.

We backup to disk then rsync the backups to usb 3.0 drives. I would not want to count on a usb drive being plugged in for backups to occur.

A useful package is usbmount . When a drive is plugged on it is mounted to /media/usb0 .

We use a cronscript that checks for a correct usb drive by checking if a file exists on the drive like /media/usb0/rs-usb-script-uses-this-drive .

If the file exists then we rsync -a --partial --del :/bkup/dump /media/usb0/dump/

The script works on any node that has a drive plugged in to.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!