Uploading ISO to ISO store uploads the file to the root filesystem PM6.2-11

AngryAdm

Sep 5, 2020
My ISO directory is located in a ZFS folder /storage/iso/template/iso

If I attempt to upload images with the GUI, it seems that proxmox wants the iso file to be stored on the root drive which is inconvenient as it is a USB drive. It is also not what I am asking proxmox to do. I am asking it to upload it to the ISO storage area on my ZFS filesystem...

I do not see any logic in proxmox saving it to the root directory first (which runs out of space before completion) and then potentially move/copy it to the ISO directory.

1600510012642.png

1600510261948.png

I had the same issue. The Problem was that the zfs volume I had created was not auto mounted on boot. Hence every time I have rebooted my images where gone and I somewhat was confused / filling up my root drive.
Have you created the zfs dataset manually in the CLI?
If yes check that automount (hope it is the right name) for it is enabled.
HTH

Reactions: AngryAdm
I created it in CLI indeed. Its a very old pool that I imported :)

It automounts on boot. I have vm's starting on boot from the pool. If it doesnt automount ZFS cant mount at all because proxmox creates new fólders inside the /storage/vm folders. I have to remove the storage in proxmox so that I can mount the ZFS pool and then add the storage in the GUI again... Kinda silly aswell...

root@pm01:~# zfs list
NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT
storage 4.15T 2.88T 3.06T /storage
storage/iso 52.3G 2.88T 52.3G /storage/iso
storage/swap 32.5G 2.90T 17.4G -
storage/vm 1.01T 2.88T 1.01T /storage/vm

My ISO directory is located in a ZFS folder /storage/iso/template/iso

If I attempt to upload images with the GUI, it seems that proxmox wants the iso file to be stored on the root drive which is inconvenient as it is a USB drive. It is also not what I am asking proxmox to do. I am asking it to upload it to the ISO storage area on my ZFS filesystem...
Unfortunately, Proxmox VE uploads the ISO to /var/tmp (not even /tmp as if the upload needs to survive a reboot) instead of the target location directly, if I'm not mistaken.
Maybe move /var away from the USB-drive and to a drive or partition that can handle many writes? Or get the developers to change it.
Maybe someone knows another work-around that would prevent the doubling the amount of writes?

Reactions: AngryAdm
Odd. Its kinda like coming home from shopping and put the groceries in the toilet and then go to the kitchen, go back to the toilet, pick up the groceries, go back to the kitchen and store the groceries in the fridge ...

I do believe it is not uncommon for web server frameworks to work like that: upload to a local temporary location and then process it from there (in this case: copy to storage).

Alternatively, store you ISOs somewhere else and use scp or someting to put them there. And use a script to create symbolic links (ln -s) to those ISO's in the Proxmox VE storage (<storage>/templates/iso). I use it to link to ISOs inside the shared storage of my local virtual Torrent server without duplicating the ISOs.
PS: Or Just use scp to copy your ISOs directly to the Proxmox VE storage.

Last edited:
I do believe it is not uncommon for web server frameworks to work like that: upload to a local temporary location and then process it from there (in this case: copy to storage).

Alternatively, store you ISOs somewhere else and use scp or someting to put them there. And use a script to create symbolic links (ln -s) to those ISO's in the Proxmox VE storage (<storage>/templates/iso). I use it to link to ISOs inside the shared storage of my local virtual Torrent server without duplicating the ISOs.
PS: Or Just use scp to copy your ISOs directly to the Proxmox VE storage.

I installed samba and upload it that way :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!