[SOLVED] Upload big .ova to Proxmox

nockdown

Jun 9, 2021
I would like to transfer VM from virtualbox to Proxmox. I think I can do this with steps:

1) on virtualbox: export VM to .ova (use OVF 1.0 and "Write manifest file" option)
2) transfer this .ova file (124Gb) to PVE server with scp
3) unzip this .ova file with tar
4) import vmdk. with "qm importdisk"

But "local" (/var/lib/vz/images/) on my PVE server hasn't enough free space for 124Gb .ova file. Only 95Gb is available.
How could I transfer this big .ova file (124Gb) to PVE server?

Last edited:
Could you temporarily add some network storage or external disk to your PVE host?

Could you temporarily add some network storage or external disk to your PVE host?
Yes, thank you.

I used this howto.

1. on Virtualbox:

Export VM to .ova (use OVF 1.0)
sudo mkdir /mnt/vbsharer sudo tar -xvf /home/vbox/.config/VirtualBox/VM.ova sudo mv /home/vbox/.config/VirtualBox/VM-disk001.vmdk /mnt/vbshare/ sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install nfs-kernel-server sudo chown -R nobody:nogroup /mnt/vbshare sudo chmod -R 777 /mnt/vbshare sudo nano /etc/exports
#add line
Code:
/mnt/vbshare 192.168.X.X(rw,sync,no_subtree_check)
sudo exportfs -a sudo systemctl restart nfs-kernel-server sudo ufw allow from 192.168.X.X sudo ufw status

2. on PVE:
apt-get update apt-get install nfs-common mkdir /root/vb mount -t nfs 192.168.X.Y:/mnt/vbshare /root/vb qm importdisk 103 /root/vb/TVM-disk001.vmdk local-lvm -format qcow2

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!