Upgrade to 7.1 gone wrong: activating LV 'pve/data' failed

Pride1922

Dec 13, 2021
Hey guys,

I just upgrade proxmox to 7.1, everything went good. Upon reboot I get this error: "activating LV 'pve/data' failed: Activation of logical volume pve/data is prohibited while logical volume pve/data_tmeta is active. (500)".

Bash:
root@proxmox:~# lsblk
NAME               MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda                  8:0    0 10.9T  0 disk
├─sda1               8:1    0 1007K  0 part
├─sda2               8:2    0  512M  0 part /boot/efi
└─sda3               8:3    0 10.9T  0 part
  ├─pve-swap       253:0    0    8G  0 lvm  [SWAP]
  ├─pve-root       253:1    0   96G  0 lvm  /
  ├─pve-data_tmeta 253:2    0 15.8G  0 lvm
  └─pve-data_tdata 253:3    0 10.8T  0 lvm
sdb                  8:16   0  1.8T  0 disk
└─sdb1               8:17   0  1.8T  0 part
sr0                 11:0    1 1024M  0 rom

storage.cfg
dir: local path /var/lib/vz content vztmpl,backup,iso lvmthin: local-lvm thinpool data vgname pve content rootdir,images

Any good soul that could help?

Appreciate your time.

Last edited:
Solution: add "thin_check_options = [ "-q", "--skip-mappings" ]" to lvm.conf

Explanation: "It's not an LVM bug, but should rather be considered a bug in Proxmox VE's (and likely Debian's) init configuration/handling. What (likely) happens is that the thin_check during activation takes too long and pvscan is killed (see here for more information)."

Explanation: "It's not an LVM bug, but should rather be considered a bug in Proxmox VE's (and likely Debian's) init configuration/handling. What (likely) happens is that the thin_check during activation takes too long and pvscan is killed (see here for more information)."
i have same problem
TASK ERROR: activating LV 'pve/data' failed: Activation of logical volume pve/data is prohibited while logical volume pve/data_tmeta is active.
is that solution can help and not remove the data?

i have same problem
TASK ERROR: activating LV 'pve/data' failed: Activation of logical volume pve/data is prohibited while logical volume pve/data_tmeta is active.
is that solution can help and not remove the data?
yes, first make a local copy of lvm.conf, just in case, then add thin_check_options = [ "-q", "--skip-mappings" ] to your lvm.conf and reboot the machine.

cd /etc/lvm
cp lvm.conf lvm.backup
nano lvm.conf

inside nano is CTRL +W to search for thin_check_options, uncomment / edit it to look like: thin_check_options = [ "-q", "--skip-mappings" ] .

Save the file and reboot the server.

Hope this helps.

Edit: You will not lose any data.

Reactions: wegiii
yes, first make a local copy of lvm.conf, just in case, then add thin_check_options = [ "-q", "--skip-mappings" ] to your lvm.conf and reboot the machine.

cd /etc/lvm
cp lvm.conf lvm.backup
nano lvm.conf

inside nano is CTRL +W to search for thin_check_options, uncomment / edit it to look like: thin_check_options = [ "-q", "--skip-mappings" ] .

Save the file and reboot the server.

Hope this helps.

Edit: You will not lose any data.
in command [ "-q", "--skip-mappings" ] should use space or not ?

That's what I mean, sorry, my English is not to good, I already write in lvm.conf and restart the server, but still the local-lvm not active

Reactions: TechQI
That's what I mean, sorry, my English is not to good, I already write in lvm.conf and restart the server, but still the local-lvm not active

You should open a new thread on the forum so others can help you. I do not know how to help you then.

For other people stumbling upon this thread: This is missing the required update-initramfs -u command. Please link to the full post/thread next time.

I recently encounter this issue as well." TASK ERROR: activating LV 'pve/data' failed: Check of pool pve/data failed (status:1). Manual repair required!" The first occurred after power outage 2 months ago. I was not able to fix it and I ended restalling proxmox and now it happed again yesterday. Can you explain where can I find lvm.conf and how to add
"thin_check_options = [ "-q", "--skip-mappings" ]" to lvm.conf

Hi,
I recently encounter this issue as well." TASK ERROR: activating LV 'pve/data' failed: Check of pool pve/data failed (status:1). Manual repair required!" The first occurred after power outage 2 months ago. I was not able to fix it and I ended restalling proxmox and now it happed again yesterday. Can you explain where can I find lvm.conf and how to add
see the full post mentioned here:
For other people stumbling upon this thread: This is missing the required update-initramfs -u command. Please link to the full post/thread next time.

But your issue does sound different. It's not about partial activation, but about (seemingly) corrupted metadata, hence the message about the manual repair. Did you check if your phyiscal disks are still healthy, e.g. with smartctl -a /path/to/device? Any interesting messages in /var/log/syslog?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!