Upgrade to 24.04 broke LXC for privileged container?

ShaunG

Jul 12, 2022
So, I've upgraded 7 containers and one (I thought) didn't work, all others are fine and operational

After 2 days of digging through logs I've just realised one other doesn't work, and I can see now they are the two privileged containers, so it must be related. Are there known issues with upgrading in this scenario?

Logs below, lots of major services failing:

https://bpa.st/ODL5Q

I can't even convert the containers to unprivileged because:

tar: ./var/spool/postfix/dev/urandom: Cannot mknod: Operation not permitted

This is quite frustrating....

@Chris The install still seems partially broken. For example nginx is running, but it doesn't show as an installed package and I can install it again but there are errors.

Packages don't show as broken though, APT has no errors which is odd. Lots show "RC"?

Is there a command I can run to complete any install elements that failed due to the privileged issue?

If things are partially installed, a combination of "dpkg -a --configure" and "apt install -f" usually completes the installation.

If things fail mysteriously, I find it often is a problem with apparmor policies. They seem to be somewhat fragile with the 24.04 LTS release. I think a bunch of them have gotten fixed in the last few months, but that's usually where I start looking, if programs inexplicably don't run correctly.

You can check "dmesg" output on the host instead of in the container, and it often has informative messages. But the apparmor profiles that need editing are in the container itself. Don't forget to reload or restart apparmor after editing the profiles.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!