[SOLVED] Upgrade Proxmox 7.0-11 to the latest

cazz

Jul 18, 2021
Sweden
Hi
I trying to find info how to upgrade my Proxmox server.
What I understand I can do it from GUI or CLI

What I have found, if I going to use CLI then I have to write like this
apt update
apt full-upgrade

But I have not see where in GUI I can upgrade.
I only find updates.

I also wonder if that is a good idea to shutdown my VM before upgrade (I guess the server need to reboot after a upgrade?)

You find it in the webUI under Datacenter -> YourNodeName -> Updates. First you hit the "Refresh" button which will call a "apt update" so you will always be installing the lastest versions. then you can hit the "Upgrade" button which will call a "apt full-upgrade".

For minor upgrades (like 7.0 to 7.1) it should be fine to do the upgrade using the GUI. For major upgrades you should run the upgrade process using a physical console or webKVM with CLI because you will most likely loose your network or pve-proxy there so the upgrade will be interrupted.

And you should read the output of the upgrade. When upgrading the kernel it will usually tell you to reboot your server so changes can take into effect.

Thanks for the fast replay

I was curious so I did run a upgrade by press the upgrade button and it say
"Your System is up-to-date"

I then run apt full-upgrade and it say
"0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded."

and that was a little strange so I did run pveversion and it say
"pve-manager/7.0-11/63d82f4e (running kernel: 5.11.22-4-pve)"

Not sure why.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!