upgrade from 6.1 to 6.3

mistay

Apr 7, 2020
hi,
we're using the stable "enterprise" apt repro for a cluster running proxmox-ve-6.1 (w/o license)

now we'd like to upgrade but unfortunatly there's no budget to afford three proxmox licenses as we do not generate any money using that cluster. it's more an academic way to host some dev lxc containers "to play around".

well ... upgrading every single host results in "your system is up to date" whereas the header still shows proxmox6.1 and some features are missing that can be found in 6.3 .. so i assume this feature in webif just upgrades within the 6.1 system but does not upgrade to 6.2 nor to 6.3.

will it be possible to shutdown one single node in the 3-nodes cluster, update, bring it back online, join the cluster and continue with the other hosts or will it break something in ceph so that while upgrading ceph will break?

thanks!

taken from the link above:

Proxmox VE No-Subscription Repository​

This is the recommended repository for testing and non-production use.

thanks but this will go to unstable version, right? i'd like to stay with the stable version but it would be ok to update one node after the other.

hmm what about changing to unstable, update and going back to entersprise - would it work? will ceph break?

Last edited:
Access to the enterprise repository is only available to nodes with an active subscription - without subscription you can only use the no-subscription repository (which is why subscriptions are recommended for productive workloads)

without subscription you don't have access to the enterprise repository and thus no upgrades from there

I would suggest that you configure the pve-no-subscription repository and upgrade regularly

ok thanks.

so installing proxmox-ve out of the box w/o reconfiguring to the no-subscription repro will lead to updates but only within the current minor versions, i.e. 6.1.x but will remain stable.

installing proxmox-ve and changing to no-subscriptin will upgrade to 6.3 and will lead to unstable?

so installing proxmox-ve out of the box w/o reconfiguring to the no-subscription repro will lead to updates but only within the current minor versions, i.e. 6.1.x but will remain stable.
No - installing from the ISO will give you the current state of the ISO - the updates you see are only for packages from the debian repositories (PVE is based on Debian) - you will not get any updates for the PVE packages (including the kernel, lxc and qemu, which on a hypervisor are probably among the most important ones)

the no-subscription repository gets new package versions earlier than the enterprise repository (we wait for a while before releasing the packages to enterprise, so that they are tested more by the community)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!