Updating firmware for Mellanox MT27520 Family [ConnectX-3 Pro] (aka cx322a) in Proxmox

xelar

Nov 26, 2023
I have 3 nearly identical nodes each with a Mellanox CX322A Dual SFP+ NIC. On my newest node I was easily able to pass through the NIC to Windows and I updated the firmware using an installer from DELL (the NICs are DELL rebranded). On my other two nodes (Lenovo Tiny PC m920q) I am unable to pass through the NIC as I keep getting:

Error: started failed: QEMU exited with code 1

...no matter what I tried to do. The only thing that I found that may potentially be causing an issue is that the NIC shared the same IOMMU group number as the PCIe controller.

Therefore, I downloaded a BIN of the firmware meant to be used on Linux by just executing in the SHELL to update the firmware, but that too does not work either. The error is:

/opt/dell/updatepackage/firmware.BIN-16002.TnsBM4/spsetup.sh: 1293: Syntax error: redirection unexpected

So... what are my options to update the firmware other than popping the cards into another computer?

The firmware I am using is here:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-pg/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=h9rjp

As shared by another user here , I needed to blacklist the modules that were interfering with passing through the PCIe NIC. Looking at the output of dmesg I only saw this error: genirq: Flags mismatch irq 16. 00000000 (vfio-intx(0000:01:00.0)) vs. 00000080 (i801_smbus)

The post linked above blacklisted the NIC itself and both i801 and smbus so that is what I did:

Code:
nano /etc/modprobe.d/pve-blacklist.conf

# This file contains a list of modules which are not supported by Proxmox VE

# nvidiafb see bugreport https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=701
blacklist nvidiafb

#Disable following modules to be able to pass through the PCIe Mellanox NIC, then revert.
#Execute this command, and reboot: update-initramfs -u -k all
blacklist mlx4_core
blacklist i2c_i801
blacklist i2c_smbus

After adding the last 3 blacklisted modules, I ran this >> update-initramfs -u -k all to make it effective and rebooted.

I was finally able to start the Windows VM and the Mellanox NIC was successfully passed through to Windows! I therefore updated the NIC's firmware, reverted my changes in pve-blacklist.conf commenting out the modules I blacklisted, ran the update command, and rebooted one final time.

Sharing because I lost hours on this and this post may help others avoid the same. There is a lot of talk about this, but most of it left out details or gave many variations that made it more confusing.

Edit: This is how I did the pass through
1709924764178.png

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!