Update to PVE >= 8.2 recommended?

thomas-hn

Oct 26, 2021
Hello,

the last months I followed the discussions on Proxmox VE 8.2 released! and skipped the update of my PVE instance so far. I am still afraid, that updating my server to the latest available updates on the No Subscription Repo could break my system and to be honest, I feel I am not really up-to-date with all possible issues on this update, even that I read a lot here in this forum.

What is the overall status of the PVE >= 8.2 updates at the moment? Are all those issues fixed so far and can I update my system to all the latest available No Subscription Repo updates without worrying too much or is it still not recommended to do the updates?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Thomas

In principle, updating is a good thing as you get security and bug fixes and new features. However, the new kernel version 6.8 (which is mostly provided by Linux and Ubuntu) has not been a success for everybody. It's not really an option to stay on older versions with known security issues and bugs not being fixed (as they are fixed on newer, supported versions) but the road is not always as smooth as people (including, I'm sure, Proxmox staff) would like.
If you get a subscription then you get updates slower (and more tested by others) ,but if it happens to break you specific system then you'll also get the fix much later. There are never any real guarantees and you could be unlucky but I do trust things to work out eventually.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!