Update Package Database -> Stuck / Running 23h

Ramalama

Dec 26, 2020
Issue: Update package database Task runs since 23h

- I know i can disable the regularly Proxmox Package Updates with disabling pve-daily-update.timer
But this will disable acme certificate updates and a lot more, not just apt update

- I know i can simply kill apt and fix the issue, but i have the fear that this will happen again...

Its looks to me like a minor bug, everything on the PVE-Server works, so the only thought that i have why it stucked, is maybe because apt ist asking a question or something...
But during an "apt update" or "apt-get update" i never seen apt asking any questions, only on upgrade...
Dunno why apt stucked, maybe a newly introduced bug in /usr/bin/pveupdate, maybe something different, i cannot see it with "ps aux"

However, the apt updates are anyway not neccessary.
I think anyway that no one uses the GUI to update Proxmox honestly.

Isn't there a way to disable just the apt updates? If not, cant we have an option or something?

Cheers

I think anyway that no one uses the GUI to update Proxmox honestly.
A lot of people who aren't coming from a full Linux background/are coming over from VMWare using proxmox probably ONLY use the GUI method, and I myself for example (VMWare, but with plenty of Linux background), like it to be able to quickly click and read the changelogs for the updates in the GUI, to see what they are about and if I should take extra care with them / do extra specific tests. So no, having the apt update included is necessary (although an easier way to schedule it weekly or monthly would be nice, I've changed it to weekly so that I get a weekly list and reminder email of updates available from my systems.)

That said though, one way to block just the updates part (sort off):
Just comment out / change the repo's (or swap the repo file for easier back-and-forth when you plan to update yourself)
If it doesn't know where to get updates (or only from a source that doesn't have updates for the system), it'll be done instantly every time, right?

Reactions: Ramalama
- I know i can simply kill apt and fix the issue, but i have the fear that this will happen again...
analyse it properly, e.g. run strace on the process or run it manually and check what's going on.

Isn't there a way to disable just the apt updates? If not, cant we have an option or something?

AFAIK, apt update is just called by the default debian apt.systemd.daily cron job, so it can be disabled.

Its looks to me like a minor bug, everything on the PVE-Server works, so the only thought that i have why it stucked, is maybe because apt ist asking a question or something...
But during an "apt update" or "apt-get update" i never seen apt asking any questions, only on upgrade...
Yes, apt update does not ask questions. Delays are normally due to network latencies or timeouts.

Reactions: Ramalama

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!