[SOLVED] Unsupported option: SMTPUTF8 (500) in quarantine

kalachev_89

Nov 7, 2022
Hello.
Sometimes, than i press Delivery Button in quarantine, i get error windows "5.5.4 Unsupported option: SMTPUTF8 (500)"
1683674561857.png
We use Exchange 2013 as backend mail server, that don't support SMTPUTF8, so it disabled via main.cf.in template
smtputf8_enable = no
Then mail goes direct from pmg to exchange, without quarantine, the problem is gone.
pmgversion
pmg-api/7.3-3/a3d66da0 (running kernel: 5.15.104-1-pve)

Last edited:
since a few versions you can disable smtputf8 support in pmg you must set 'smtputf8' to 0 in /etc/pmg/pmg.conf in the mail subsection (see 'man pmgconfig')
then pmg should not try to send mails as smtputf8 to your downstream server anymore
(it also automatically disables smtputf8 in the default main.cf template then, so you wouldn't have to manually do that anymore)

Thanks!
I set 'smtputf8' to 0 in /etc/pmg/pmg.conf and remove smtputf8_enable = no from tmplate.
After restart, the message delivered from quarantine

Thanks!
I set 'smtputf8' to 0 in /etc/pmg/pmg.conf and remove smtputf8_enable = no from tmplate.
After restart, the message delivered from quarantine
great that it seems to work, but be careful with the template, check the difference to the original one , with that change we added the following section:
Code:
[% IF ! pmg.mail.smtputf8 %]
smtputf8_enable = no
[% END %]

so make sure that the template you now have is correct

I encountered this error due to a special character. In my case the letter "à" which was present in the email address. Updating the letter from "à" to "a" the error disappeared.

encountered this error due to a special character. In my case the letter "à" which was present in the email address. Updating the letter from "à" to "a" the error disappeared.
please post your `pmgversion -v` and ensure you have the latest version installed.

Reactions: albertk94
You're welcome - glad the issue is not present in the current versions :)

Thanks for reporting back!

Reactions: albertk94

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!