unknown filesystem type 'efivarfs'

tristank

Apr 24, 2020
I'm trying to install Proxmox 6.4-1 on a HP T620 Plus. I flashed the Proxmox VE 6.4 ISO Installer on a 16GB USB-Stick with Balena Etcher. After I selected the first menu entry 'Install Proxmox VE' the installer throws me back to the commandline with an error stating unknown filesystem type 'efivarfs'

Code:
0.2177961 efi: Error ident-mapping new memmap (0x235d9c000) !
Welcome to the Proxmox VE 6.4 installer
initial setup startup
mounting proc filesystem
mounting sys filesystem
EFI boot mode detected, mounting efivars filesystem
mount: mounting efivarfs on /sys/firmware/efi efivars failed: No such device
comandline: BOOT _IMAGE=/boot/linux26 ro ramdisk_size=16777216 ru quiet splash=silent
loading drivers: ahci wmi mac_hid ehci_ pci xhei_pci ohci_ pci i2c_piix4 sp5100_tco serio_rau psmouse pespkr aesni_intel ghash_cl
mulni_intel crc32_pclmul cret10dif_pclmul kum_and amd_freq_sensitivity
searching for block device containing the ISO proxmox-ve-6.4-1
with ISO ID ' 0156elbe-a74b-11eb-af5b-3/8908c7cde1'
testing again in 5 seconds
testing device '/dev/sdb' for ISO
found Proxmox VE ISO
Starting Proxmox installation
mount: /sys/firmware/efi/efivars: unknown filesystem type 'efivarfs'
/Installation aborted - unable to continue (type exit or CIRL-D to reboot)
root (none): /#

Is it possible to workaround this issue?

Last edited:
0.2177961 efi: Error ident-mapping new memmap (0x235d9c000) !

You get an error from efi pretty early, are you sure the firmware/system is all right?

mount: /sys/firmware/efi/efivars: unknown filesystem type 'efivarfs'

I'd say that this is most likely a broken media (due to bad ISO or bad (e.g.) USB pen-drive) or a broken system, either ISO mounts efivar filesystems in general just fine..

Reactions: Moayad
I worked around the issue by installing proxmox on a external usb to m.2 adapter with my laptop and reinstalling the m.2 media in the hp t620 after the installation was successful. So clearly the installation media wasn't the cause.

I worked around the issue by installing proxmox on a external usb to m.2 adapter with my laptop and reinstalling the m.2 media in the hp t620 after the installation was successful. So clearly the installation media wasn't the cause.
Encountering the same issue and on T620 too. Have you found out the real cause of said issue?
Also, where did you plug the USB m.2 adapter, did you use the internal USB?

I have exactly the same problem. I'm having the same problem during installation. I have tried installing different Proxmox images from 8.1, 7.4, 6.4 and the problem keeps occurring. I changed 3 pendrives - no change. I used two programs to prepare the bootable version - Balena Etcher and Rufus. There is still a problem.
I am trying to install proxmox on HP T630 with 8GB RAM and 128GM disk. Can anyone help how to solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

I have exactly the same problem. I'm having the same problem during installation. I have tried installing different Proxmox images from 8.1, 7.4, 6.4 and the problem keeps occurring. I changed 3 pendrives - no change. I used two programs to prepare the bootable version - Balena Etcher and Rufus. There is still a problem.
I am trying to install proxmox on HP T630 with 8GB RAM and 128GM disk. Can anyone help how to solve this problem? Thanks in advance.
Have you found any solution? I have exactly the same problem.

Exactly same problem here. Also have a HP T620. Double checked the BIOS config and virtualization is enabled.
Can anyone help?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!