Understanding the Retention on Tape

May 6, 2021
Bern, Switzerland
Sorry to bother…
I did a short dig into documentation and the posts here, but wasn't able to find (excuse my impatience).

We don't really understand the exact behavior of the retention. If the date for retention has arrived, what happens to the media/catridges?
  1. will the status in the «inventory» change from full, writable to retired?
  2. will the content in Pool/Media-Set/Snapshot disappear?
  3. And most interesting, have the media/cartridges to be formatted before next use or are they just used and overwritten? Perhaps formatted automagically?
We're in the second generation of a 4 week retention and would like to know before anything just happens

Thank you very much, regards, Urs

hi

1. will the status in the «inventory» change from full, writable to retired?
it's' 'expired' not 'retired' but yes

1. will the content in Pool/Media-Set/Snapshot disappear?
not as long the tapes are not overwritten

1. And most interesting, have the media/cartridges to be formatted before next use or are they just used and overwritten? Perhaps formatted automagically?
they are overwritten when they are used the next time automatically, but it's in the nature of tapes that if you start writing from the beginning, you cannot access the previous data later on the tape anymore (at least not to my knowledge)

Hello again

they are overwritten when they are used the next time automatically, but it's in the nature of tapes that if you start writing from the beginning, you cannot access the previous data later on the tape anymore (at least not to my knowledge)
Ok, they do not need to be reformatted, fine.
And of course will the data on the tape invalid after starting to overwrite.
But «expired» tapes will *always* be overwritten from the beginning, do they?

But «expired» tapes will *always* be overwritten from the beginning, do they?
yes, the only thing we leave in place is the tape media label which contains the uuid, label, and optionally the media-pool into which it was labeled

Reactions: Jackobli

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!