unable to see local NVME

nb_yami

Jun 5, 2020
Hi all,

Fairly new to Linux and very New to Proxmox and in need of some help setting up a test machine

I have a desktop (HP Prodesk 400 G5) with an NVME (240GB) drive and an added SSD (120GB). When installing Proxmox VE I was able to select either drive for install (chose the SSD @ set it to 90GB).

Now in the GUI and on the server, I am unable to locate/see the NVME drive, not sure what I am missing?

thanks

After a reboot and trying some other stuff I ran the command below, but could still only see the first drive

~# lsblk

After a reboot and trying the command again the disk was visible, it was also visible from the GUI

Issue resolved

What are the steps that have been performed to fix this, because i'm experiencing the same issues with a normal SSD and a NVMe that is not visible.. even through lsblk

What are the steps that have been performed to fix this, because i'm experiencing the same issues with a normal SSD and a NVMe that is not visible.. even through lsblk
The first thing to check would be that they are seated & firmly connected. If all connection seem ok; if any external USB connection is being used then try changing cable / USB port.

If this still fails - try Live-Booting the PC with any live USB (any distro) and then check through lsblk if the drives are visible. If they are still not visible - you've got HW issues. If they are visible - somethings up with your Proxmox install.

The first thing to check would be that they are seated & firmly connected. If all connection seem ok; if any external USB connection is being used then try changing cable / USB port.

If this still fails - try Live-Booting the PC with any live USB (any distro) and then check through lsblk if the drives are visible. If they are still not visible - you've got HW issues. If they are visible - somethings up with your Proxmox install.
Thanks for the quick response, in that case the NVMe is seated firmly and is recognized when installing Windows Server 2022, but not when i'm attempting to install Proxmox and it's also not visible when using a live CD of Fedora. When i've installed it on a SSD that is connected through S-ATA next to the NVMe driver, it's also not recognized when checking through lsblk

For some reason, i'm not able to find anything regarding this issue on a HP Prodesk 400 G7.

Thanks for the quick response, in that case the NVMe is seated firmly and is recognized when installing Windows Server 2022, but not when i'm attempting to install Proxmox and it's also not visible when using a live CD of Fedora.
Looks like your NVMe drive (or motherboard combination) is not compatible with Linux in general. Maybe wait for Proxmox VE 9 and try again, or try another NVMe drive (or another motherboard/PC)?

Last edited:
Looks like your NVMe drive (or motherboard combination) is not compatible with Linux in general. Maybe wait for Proxmox VE 9 and try again, or try another NVMe drive (or another motherboard/PC)?
Well, that's what i've tried.. by installing both NVMe's that are not visible during the installation of Proxmox.. But both NVMe's are visible during the installation on my Lenovo Thinkpad E490.

In that case i'll wait until the next release of Proxmox

Thanks for the quick response, in that case the NVMe is seated firmly and is recognized when installing Windows Server 2022, but not when i'm attempting to install Proxmox and it's also not visible when using a live CD of Fedora. When i've installed it on a SSD that is connected through S-ATA next to the NVMe driver, it's also not recognized when checking through lsblk

For some reason, i'm not able to find anything regarding this issue on a HP Prodesk 400 G7.
An interesting situation you have there. As leesteken points out this would indicate a general Linux incompatibility. However, seeing that your HP Prodesk 400 G7 is an intel 10th Gen issue, which makes it approximately almost 4 years old, its surprising that Googling a search for this issue does not raise any relevant results. It is possible that you have a unique situation where the PCIe controller + your specific NVME have a Linux only problem. That is still very interesting.

The only things I can suggest:

1. Have you entered the BIOS to check for settings that maybe PCIe/NVME related?
2. Is the BIOS updated?
3. Does the drive show up in the BIOS. (I'm going to imagine it does, if Windows Server managed to install on it).
4. Have you tried an alternate NVME (different make/model/size).
5. If you have an NVME to USB adapter around, does it show up in Linux.
6. There is also a possibility, that there is some loose HW connector/connection etc. that is a hit & miss, and is sometimes working.

An interesting situation you have there. As leesteken points out this would indicate a general Linux incompatibility. However, seeing that your HP Prodesk 400 G7 is an intel 10th Gen issue, which makes it approximately almost 4 years old, its surprising that Googling a search for this issue does not raise any relevant results. It is possible that you have a unique situation where the PCIe controller + your specific NVME have a Linux only problem. That is still very interesting.

The only things I can suggest:

1. Have you entered the BIOS to check for settings that maybe PCIe/NVME related?
2. Is the BIOS updated?
3. Does the drive show up in the BIOS. (I'm going to imagine it does, if Windows Server managed to install on it).
6. There is also a possibility, that there is some loose HW connector/connection etc. that is a hit & miss, and is sometimes working.
Checked and resetted the BIOS just in case

2. Is the BIOS updated?
This has been checked, according to HP it's up to date

Yes, the driver is visible when entering the BIOS and the boot menu before the OS is loaded

Yes, both the NVMe drivers from Samsung an the pre installed from a Lenovo Thinkpad 490 are not visible from the OS (except for Windows)

This is not something i have on-prem

6. There is also a possibility, that there is some loose HW connector/connection etc. that is a hit & miss, and is sometimes working
That's what i think a very rare case and the problems are only pressent when installing or boosting a Linux based OS, when installing en boosting Windows it's imidiatly recognized (Example, Windows 11, Windows Server 2022)

But for some reason, i've seen that is also not visible for Windows Server 2019, Windows 10, Proxmox, Fedora 39. So i think its regarding the drivers at the boot proces of the installation files that are required.

Since you see such a wide/varied difference in OSs - I think you need to mess with BOOT/UEFI/SB/CSM etc. Sometimes NVME can be finicky with these.

If I were you (assuming you haven't tried it already) start with a legacy / non Secure Boot in BIOS & see if you can install a regular distro. If it works you've got your answer.

Reactions: kmbit
Hi, I faced the same issue as you!

I tried to install Linux Mint to see if this was only Proxmox or Linux in general - and Mint told me that Intel Optane/RST was activated which makes it impossible to install. Disabled it in the BIOS (Advanced > System Settings > Intel Optane) and it works now! Hope this works for you too!

Reactions: kmbit
Hi, I faced the same issue as you!

I tried to install Linux Mint to see if this was only Proxmox or Linux in general - and Mint told me that Intel Optane/RST was activated which makes it impossible to install. Disabled it in the BIOS (Advanced > System Settings > Intel Optane) and it works now! Hope this works for you too!
This has resolved the issue! I'm currently able to install Proxmox on the NVMe

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!