Unable to Remove VM After Interrupted OVF Import on Proxmox

yuna.sung

Jun 27, 2024
Hello,

I am migrating from VMware to Proxmox.

When I was importing an OVF file from an ESXi VM to a Proxmox host and importing the VM into Proxmox using the command qm importovf [vm-id] [vm-name].ovf local-zfs, I accidentally typed something incorrectly and the installation stopped. I tried to install the VM again with the same VM ID, but since the VM was already there, I had to create a new VM with a new ID.

The problematic VM is still present in Proxmox. I have tried to solve this problem but all attempts have failed:

1. Tried to delete the VM.
  2. Restarted and attempted deletion again.
  3. Tried to change the VM's resource settings, such as CPU, memory, and disk space.
None of these options are working.

What should I do to resolve this problem?

You might need to do via cli:

• qm unlock <VMID>
  • qm destroy <VMID>

And then it should work. Is there a lock symbol over the vm-icon in the web-ui?

You might need to do via cli:

• qm unlock <VMID>
  • qm destroy <VMID>

And then it should work. Is there a lock symbol over the vm-icon in the web-ui?
Unfortunately, I'm currently unable to log in via SSH to the Proxmox server. Do you have any other recommendations or solutions that can be executed directly through the Proxmox web UI?

If the vm is locked (what could be) I dont think theres a way to do this via web-ui.

Unfortunately, I'm currently unable to log in via SSH to the Proxmox server. Do you have any other recommendations or solutions that can be executed directly through the Proxmox web UI?
If you can log into the web interface as root, you can always click on the Shell button on the sidebar, which should give you a shell for a node directly in the web interface.

Reactions: yuna.sung

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!