Unable to ping server ip or access web gui from network

griddy

Sep 24, 2024
Hi guys, I installed ProxMox VE on a dell R620 with a Dell 3DFV8 Network card. I can access the PX server cli and ssh in, but I cannot access the web GUI unless I connect directly to the server with a lan cable to my laptop. Any help is appreciated!!

Network:
The server is connected to a VLAN access port (untagged) on my router. When I unplug the server and plug in my laptop on the same network port, with the same IP, subnet and gateway as the server, I can ping it from other network devices and access a hosted IIS page on port 8006 so I have eliminated my network is the problem.
I have assumed that because the port is untagged, ProxMox does not need to be VLAN aware to work. I have also tried the VLAN aware route with a trunk port but with no joy.

Server:
ip a
Shows both my bridge (vmbr0) up and my interface (enp4s0f1) up with the correct IP and CIDR 192.168.200.77/24.
I can ping my server IP, but I cannot ping anything on the network.

nmap -p 8006 192.168.200.77
Shows host is up with state open.

cat /etc/network/interfaces
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp4s0f1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address 192.168.200.77/24
    gateway 192.168.200.1
    bridge-ports enp4s0f1
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0
#    bridge-vlan-aware yes   
#    bridge-vids 200-299
# This was removed as it did not work with a tagged port. Expected VId is 200.

cat /etc/hosts
Code:
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.200.77 bastion.local bastion

dmesg | -grep -i enp4s0f1
Shows interface NIC is up but only at 100Mbps and no flow control. It is connected to a Gigabit port.
Shows bridge vmbr0 in a forwarding state.

pve-firewall status
Status is running/disabled

ethtool enp4s0f1
Code:
Settings for enp4s0f1:
    Supported ports: [ TP ]
    Supported link modes:   100baseT/Full
                            1000baseT/Full
                            10000baseT/Full
    Supported pause frame use: Symmetric
    Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
    Supported FEC modes: Not reported
    Advertised link modes:  100baseT/Full
                            1000baseT/Full
                            10000baseT/Full
    Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric
    Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
    Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
    Speed: 100Mb/s
    Duplex: Full
    Auto-negotiation: On
    Port: Twisted Pair
    PHYAD: 0
    Transceiver: internal
    MDI-X: Unknown
    Supports Wake-on: d
    Wake-on: d
    Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
                           drv probe link
    Link detected: yes

Last edited:
Hi!

So you can do 'ssh root@192.168.200.77' and get a shell and not visit 'https://192.168.200.77:8006' from your laptop's browser at the same time? How does the output of the nmap command look like exactly? Can you do 'telnet 192.168.200.77 8006'?

What kind of router are you using?

Last edited:
My apologies, I was not 100% clear. I can ssh in from the Server cli itself; I have a screen plugged in. I am unable to ssh,telnet or ping from my network. I am using a Mikrotik RB750Gr3 Hex. If it was not for my testing, I would have thought that it was my network.

Code:
Starting Nmap 7.93 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2024-09-24 15:11 SAST
Nmap scan report for bastion.local (192.168.200.77)
Host is up (0.00014s latency).

PORT     STATE    SERVICE
8006/tcp open     wpl-analytics

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.11 seconds

Last edited:
Thanks for the output -- so I guess the nmap scan comes from the PVE host itself as well and you have internet connectivity from the PVE host itself (apt update, ping google.com and the like)?

Did you already reboot your PVE host, or run 'ifreload -a' after working in '/etc/network/interfaces'? [0]

This somehow sounds like a routing issue to me, but I do not have experience with RouterOS, maybe someone could chime in?

[0] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_apply_network_changes

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!