Unable to log into the PVE web interface from the Beginning

Sam T.

Jan 18, 2021
Hello Everyone,

I read several similar questions on this site for the past 8 days, but I haven’t been able to log into the Proxmox web interface. I tried everything I could possibly think of, mainly reconfiguring the IP addresses within my subnet range, using the IP address the PVE recognized during installation, and executing various commands in the console. Despite all these attempts, every time I tried to log into the PVE, it shows “ This site can’t be reached “failure response. I used the IP address in my local subnet range (192.168.14.192) and my default (router’s) gateway. I have also tried using the right domain name. I even tried using Google’s DN as my domain name. I uninstalled the PVE and reinstalled and also kept the IP and default gateway information the PVE automatically recognized. Nothing seems to be working. for your information I am using Dell PowerEdge R710 that has three active SAS bays that has working NIC. I don't have any problem in accessing the host ( the R710 server) web interface using its IP address, but the PVE interface.

Can anyone help me in figuring out the possible causes for failure to access of the PVE web interface?

Thanks for all your helps in advance.

can you given an example what exactly you did configure for the network (the contents of the /etc/network/interfaces would be good)
if you could access the server via ssh
and what you tried to reach (the exact url you entered)

maybe you did forget to add https or the correct port?

the correct url for the webinterface is 'https://your-ip-of-the-pve-server:8006/'

Thanks Dominic for your response.

I have followed the https:// Ip address:8006/. My issue seems to be figuring out which command and results indicate issues preventing from accessing PVE web interface. I checked several of them that helps to see available hosts like cat /etc/hosts. For some reason sudo apt -get update commands did not work which may not be the cause for this and I also installed the recent version. I have also tried to get a better picture using ip link, ip -d a and Ip route. From these commands I realized that vmbro0 and 192.168.0.0/24 are down. cat /etc/network/interfaces result also shows that bridge stp is off. I am not sure if that is the what prevents access to PVE web interface. ping from other computers to the server and from the server hosting the PVE is not reachable.

I am trying to understand the right way to identify and fix the network config issue. May be using ifdown/2 or ifup commands or totally different procedure as I have no experience using Linux commands.

Thanks

Thanks Dominic for your response.
Dominik and Dominic are different persons ;)

I realized that vmbro0 and 192.168.0.0/24 are down (...) ping from other computers to the server and from the server hosting the PVE is not reachable.
This is bad and likely to be the reason why your Proxmox VE installation is neither reachable from other computers (ping) nor reaches anything (apt) itself. Note that apt update notifies you if you have not configured the Proxmox VE enterprise repository yet. This is supposed to happen.

As Dominik mentioned ("the contents of the /etc/network/interfaces"), it would be helpful if you could just copy & paste the output of your commands to the forum. It has a feature to format code

Code:
The button looks like this: </>

Dominik and Dominic are different persons ;)

This is bad and likely to be the reason why your Proxmox VE installation is neither reachable from other computers (ping) nor reaches anything (apt) itself. Note that apt update notifies you if you have not configured the Proxmox VE enterprise repository yet. This is supposed to happen.

As Dominik mentioned ("the contents of the /etc/network/interfaces"), it would be helpful if you could just copy & paste the output of your commands to the forum. It has a feature to format code

Code:
The button looks like this: </>

Thanks again
Here is the outputs of cat /etc/network/interfaces which showed the following information:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.100.2/24
gateway 192.168.100.1
bridge_ports eno1
bridge_STP off
bridge_fd o

iface eno2 inet mannual

iface eno3 inet mannual

iface eno4 inet mannual

Just for your information, these IP address generated by PVE during installation. Earlier to that I assigned IP addresses within my subnet range but didn't work either. If you need any information about my R710 server hosting the PVE, it looks ok, as I don't see any issues except normal blue LCD screen. It has working SATA drives and updated iRAID6 express and PERC 6i RAID Controller.

On the other hand, as you mentioned, there is configuration issues as apt update output shows "failed to fetch http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/buster/InRelease". several times.

Thanks

Last edited:
So currently ip -c a says DOWN for both vmbr0 and eno1? Does it work if you make eno1 autostart (and then reboot)? You can tick a checkbox in the GUI or add "auto eno1" like "auto vmbr0" is.
As you mentioned, you can also try to manually start the interfaces using something like "ifup".

Thanks for your response.

In terms of the cat /etc/network/interfaces, the output is tstill showing the same STP off or nothing has changed except the IP configuration Which I did after that. I changed the IP address back to my network subnet range and used Google's DNS address. That of course helped me at least to log into PVE web interface which is a great success. The PVE netfork interface table on Web interface shows active for vmbr0 and eno1. The vmbr0 (Linux Bridge) uses eno1 as aport and CIDR and gateways I assigned. However the eno1column has no any port, CIDR and gateway listed in the the PVE GUI table. .

While it may affect the the network connection, What I learned here is the vmbr0 and STP off status did not have an impact in accessing PVE web interface as it is still showing the same output.

The issue at hand now is I haven't been able to access the PVE shell/console as it requires updating ceph. when I try to access the shell, it asks to update ceph and shows failure message 500 because port 5009 takes too long to respond .

My current ceph version is 14,2.16. When I try to update it shows that failure message . Ceph -s command also shows "unable to get monitor information from DNS SRV with service name: ceph-mon" . Several debian updates also show failure message including http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/buster/InRelease. Any idea where to look the solution is very helpful.

Thanks

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!