Unable to create a VM on one of the cluster nodes

RodinM

Aug 1, 2011
I have a 3-node cluster with a shared LVM SAS-storage. I created a VM 129 (the id is essential in this case), played with it for a while and deleted it from the web gui.
I think something went wrong while deleting the lvm disk of that VM. And now I have a problem. When sitting on the same node I can't create a VM with the same id. It says to me:

"device-mapper: create ioctl on VGROUPVD_4-vm--129--disk--1 failed: Device or resource busy
TASK ERROR: create failed - lvcreate 'VGROUPVD_4/pve-vm-129' error: Failed to activate new LV."

When I try to create an lvm volume with the name vm-129-disk-1 (exactly how proxmox does) manually from the ssh session I get the same problem message.

I can create a VM with that id, but only when sitting on another cluster node.
When sitting on the problem node I still can create a VM but only with another id.
Cluster seems to function properly. I even tried to migrate some VM's from and to this node. All without problem.

Any suggestions?

I managed to fix it manually by using the dmsetup command. So the question is closed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!