Unable to configure Hardware RAID | On Supermicro server.

wasim.devops

Jun 27, 2022
I have 1 SuperMicro server.
The server has 3 disks in it .
I am unable to do hardware RAID 0 in it
With that regard, I would like to know how can I use all 3 disks while installing Proxmox

Last edited:
Hardware RAID 0 is to club three disks each of 3TB and form a single virtual disk of 9TB.
So that while installing proxmox it can be detect single disk of 9Tb. Thanks

I tried to run proxmox installation with three individual disks without Hardware RAID,
I was only able to select one disk to install proxmox.

I am not sure, how can I add remaining two disks in the proxmox storage.
Please suggest. Thanks

Raid0 is a very bad idea. Even worse that just a single disk, which either isn`t great because of missing redundancy. But with a raid0 its even 3 times more likely, compared to a single disk, that you loose all your data. If you want 9TB of storage you should get 2x 10TB HDDs with raid1 or 6x 3TB HDDs with raid10.
Proxmox would allow you to use ZFS as software raid but that isn't recommended when you got a hardware raid controller.
Do you really need one big 9TB "disk"? You could just install PVE as LVM-Thin to a single disk and add the other 2 disks later as two additional VM storages.

Hardware RAID 0 is to club three disks each of 3TB and form a single virtual disk of 9TB.
Of course I know what it does and @Dunuin was a little bit more liberal with words than my "hy on earth would you want to do anything in RAID0?".

If you really, really want a system that as 3-times the odds of failure, just go with it. Look at your hardware raid manual and get everything configured there then come back and try to install PVE. Hardware raid is not a PVE problem, it's a hardware problem.

Hello @Dunuin ,

I have installed proxmox on sda 3.64tb and kept maxroot value to 500gb(i.e during installation).
So after installation I got 500 GB for local volume and remaining 3.10 tb for local-lvm.

But I am not able to add remaining two 3tb disks from webui.
Also not able to create volume groups for any of these disks. Screenshot attached.
Create volume groups values are getting empty for all three disks.

Please suggest/help here. Thanks

1661160784156.png
1661160740709.png

1661160833811.png

We discussed somethin similiar here. mdadm is the best approach for easy and fast RAID0. LVM will NOT automatically strip the data on a per block basis over the disks.

More information is very much due such as brand of raid controller if you are looking to setup hw raid. Most likely this will include a step where you login to bios of the raid controller.
Also in the pve install window you have option to setup different types of raid including zfs raid with 3 disks.

I tried to run proxmox installation with three individual disks without Hardware RAID,
I was only able to select one disk to install proxmox.

I am not sure, how can I add remaining two disks in the proxmox storage.
Please suggest. Thanks
RAID 0 is not the only way to get to a single large volume. As others pointed out, raid0 is not suited for scenarios where data retention is important because the likelihood of failure goes by the square of the number of member disks, so 3 members disks raid0 is 8 times (2*2*2) vs a single disk.

dont use your raid controller, and use lvm to concatenate the disks to a single volume group, eg

# vgcreate myvolume /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!