Unable to boot Proxmox - Cannot open root device

ngc0202

Oct 9, 2024
I'm installing Proxmox for the first time. Installation went fine but I can't seem to get it to boot. In recovery mode, I can see the following message:
/dev/root: Can't open blockdev
VFS: Cannot open root device "/dev/mapper/pve-root" or unknown-block(0,0): error -6
Kernel panic -- not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
I'm able to get in with a live CD and everything looks fine, but booting is a total no-go. I've also tried with an older and a newer kernel version with the same result. I'd appreciate any advice.

I have the exact same error today after upgrading my Proxmox running on a mini pc in my home lab.
After a reboot I'm stuck at booting with Linux kernel 6.8.12.
I used to have a "pinned" kernel version after following https://www.derekseaman.com/2024/07...u-vt-d-passthrough-with-intel-alder-lake.html but today decided to update since later kernel versions are now supported for the scenario described in the aforementioned link.
Curious if anyone else is having the same issue, and if there is a fix...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!