unable to boot: error "Superblock checksum does not match while trying to open.. /dev/mapper/pve-root:"

NAS_making

Sep 20, 2024
Dear all,
I am a newbie in Proxmox, with a limited experience in linux.
I created a VM (OMV7) and a few containers running proxmox in a Asrock N3700.
There a few HDD, all passed through to the OMV VM.
I tried installing a new one, manage to find that one slot or RAM was burned and one of the HDD get lost (I ran a backup of it so no data were lost).
When I try to boot I got a warning about superblock errors.
I thought I might have changed something about the sda/b/c numbering
Even after removing all the HDD and the burned RAM, I still can't boot and got the same message:
Immagine 2024-09-20 160733.jpg

I would like to fix this, and if this becomes impossible at least I would like to re-install the VM from their backup. In a new proxmox on a different SSD or a new NAS.

As a first step, I tried running e2fsck -b 8193 or 32768, but sincerely I don't understand what I should write in the <device> area.

thanks

f

<device> is the one where pve is installed on which mostly should be /dev/sda (depend on kernel numbering by boot).

The superblock of /dev/mapper/pve-root appears to be corrupt. The suggestion is to e2fsck using one of the copies/backups of the superblock. Your <device> is /dev/mapper/pve-root since that is the one that has the superblock issue.
Since you had (silent) data corruption, it might be a better idea to wipe everything, reinstall and restore from known good backups.

Thanks.
the command
Code:
e2fsck -b 32678 /dev/mapper/pve-root
asked for permissions for fixing stuff and it worked!

The node is on, but now I can't start the OMV VM, or backup it. For both It says it's looking for one of the HDD, and can't find it.
(the HDD were all exluded from the backup, of couse).

The superblock of /dev/mapper/pve-root appears to be corrupt. The suggestion is to e2fsck using one of the copies/backups of the superblock. Your <device> is /dev/mapper/pve-root since that is the one that has the superblock issue.
Since you had (silent) data corruption, it might be a better idea to wipe everything, reinstall and restore from known good backups.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!