Unable to access the internet from 10GB interface

RiderofDragons68

Sep 11, 2022
I just rebuilt Proxmox and have a dual-port 10GB nic connected to my network. The first port is connected to my virtualization network, and the second port is connected to the production network. I want to have the clients connect to the virtualization network. I am the only person that should be connecting to the production network.
I have a IP address on the production network only. Any help would be great!
Rider68

Depends a little on what you mean with "Clients" connecting;

Do you mean VM's that you set up? Just set the right Bridge

Do you mean user-admins that can configure their own VM's? Probably easiest way then would be to set up an SDN-Zone for your clients, and only give them permission to that SDN, and not to the localnetwork (or your SDN if you create one).

If I put a IP address on the mgmt NIC, the put a IP on the secondary client connector, you can ping the and connect to the mgmt network without issue be you can not ping the client connection.

So a SDN should fix that?

Again, what "client" are we talking about here? Client can mean a lot of different things, and I believe none of them are terms used in Proxmox itself, although it can of course be some translation somewhere. Also you are now talking about mgmt network suddenly, is that the same as the production network or something else?

SDN's is not a cure-all thing, it can help make tasks easier, and give you a bit more fine permission control, but if you can't get it to work with just the bridges, it will probably be difficult to do with SDN.

So, what I would like to happen is that students log in and present their list of virtual machines. They should not have access to my network, which is where the management client IP is currently located.

So I got IP addresses by adding VLAN (68) to the virtual machines I set up. The machines are getting 10.10.72.x ip's for the external addresses. However the machines are not able to access the Internet. I want to put the server where I can still can access. I can give any files or configuration notes.

So, I have moved the IP and gateway onto the 10.10.72.9 IP and pointed it to the gateway of 10.10.72.1. The VM's still can't access the internet. so since I have moved the gateway from 10.10.168.1 to 10.10.72.1 there is no access to the internet
moving the gateway back to the other adapter it works just fine. I can check the internet.

I can still access the management console from the 10.10.72.9:8006 IP address. I would just like to get the internet working for machine updates and patching. That is where I am stuck at right now.

I finally got everything working for now. It was a corrupt vlan configuration. So I have had to rebuild part of my vlans on my workstation & network

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!