Unable to access the GUI after the fresh installation.

Victor_Zing

Sep 18, 2023
Hello Everyone, Good day!

I am new to Proxmox, installing it for the first time, successfully completed the installation on the DELL R710 server, apparently I am unable to access the GUI from my desktop. My Proxmox server is connected to my desktop via direct LAN cable (no router/switch in place).

Promox host file record entry by running the command - nano /etc/hosts/

127.0.0.1Localhost.localdomain
10.1.0.111Promox FQDN

Proxmox server network entries by running the command - nano etc/network/interfaces

Address 10.1.0.111/24
Gateway10.1.0.1

1695051955854.png
My desktop (local LAN network details) -

Ipv4 address10.1.0.12
Subnet mask255.255.255.0
Default gateway10.1.0.1

From the desktop, when I try the ping I get the error "Request timed out"
From the desktop, when I access the Proxmox GUI, I get the error "This site can't be reached"

Please note, I used the https along with the port :8006 while accessing the URL.
I turned off the windows firewall on my desktop, I read in the threads that Proxmox firewall service bydefault allows the traffic 8006 & 22 on local network. However, to eliminate that cause, I have also ran the command pve-firewall stop stopped the promox firewall service.

If you want me to run any command please share me the full command, for the reason I am also new to Linux realm. Thank you in advance.

What is the output of ip a (to check the connection)? What is the IP address of the desktop computer and your router (to check the local network)?

thank you for your super fast help.

As mentioned I don't have a router, the Proxmox server is directly connected to a standalone desktop via LAN cable.
Dektop IP (10.1.0.12 & gateway: 10.1.0.1)

output of ip a

eno1 --> this is my interface, shows state DOWN :-( - how do I fix this!!

lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
inet6 ::1/128 scope host
eno1: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
link/ether 78:2b:cb:19:3d:9E brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff.
altnarne enp1s0f0
eno2: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
altnarneenp1s0f0
eno3: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
altnarneenp1s0f0
eno4: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noop state DOWN group default qlen 1000
altnarneenp1s0f0
vmbr0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
inet6 10.10.0.111/24 scope global vmbro

Last edited:
thank you for your super fast help.

As mentioned I don't have a router, the Proxmox server is directly connected to a standalone desktop via LAN cable.
Dektop IP (10.1.0.12 & gateway: 10.1.0.1)
If it's not connected to the router, then you probably want the desktop to be the gateway for Proxmox (10.1.0.12). Proxmox won't know how to reach 10.1.0.1 if its not connected directly. But this is not your immediate concern.
output of ip a

eno1 --> this is my interface, shows state DOWN :-( - how do I fix this!!

View attachment 55547
Some of the information is missing, but no-carrier is not a good sign. Are you sure the cable is connected to the right port (as there appear to be multiple).
Did you use a cross-cable? Most devices are auto-sensing these days but I don't know if that works with a PC to PC connection and/or Windows.
Maybe the network port on the desktop is not active? Do you see blinking lights on both computers?
You used a non-standard setup and connecting Proxmox to the router might be the easier fix.

If it's not connected to the router, then you probably want the desktop to be the gateway for Proxmox (10.1.0.12). Proxmox won't know how to reach 10.1.0.1 if its not connected directly. But this is not your immediate concern.

Some of the information is missing, but no-carrier is not a good sign. Are you sure the cable is connected to the right port (as there appear to be multiple).
Did you use a cross-cable? Most devices are auto-sensing these days but I don't know if that works with a PC to PC connection and/or Windows.
Maybe the network port on the desktop is not active? Do you see blinking lights on both computers?
You used a non-standard setup and connecting Proxmox to the router might be the easier fix.
Got you,

with regards to the cable - they are good, same cable works for connecting another PC's.
with regards to the local LAN port, I can see the green light on both the proxmox server & desktop.

will try to get a router and go with the standard setup and keep you posted - thank you so much @leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!