Unable access web GUI or ping server

rorsie

Aug 30, 2024
Hello, I have recently installed Proxmox 8.2 on an Optiplex but was running into issues when connecting to the web GUI.
My home network is just on a 192.168.0.0/24 subnet. I set the default gateway in the options as 192.168.0.1 (which is correct) and put the server as 192.168.0.10/24. It is connected directly to my router with an ethernet cable.
interfaces.jpg
I actually tried 2 installations. The network settings were the same except I tried both interfaces and the primary/management one. The enp0s and wlx, which I assume are the ethernet and wireless interfaces. I attached a photo of the "ip a" command the "interfaces" config file if that helps.
Let me know if you need more info.
network.jpg

Going from the last photo: Proxmox does not support WiFi; try using the enp0s31f6 with an Ethernet cable to your router instead.
Please go back to the cabled network connection setup, reboot and show the output of ip a and cat /etc/network/interfaces again.

PS: There are lots of threads on this forum about WiFi if you really want to set it up yourself but it's much harder without a working (cabled) network connection.

Going from the last photo: Proxmox does not support WiFi; try using the enp0s31f6 with an Ethernet cable to your router instead.
Please go back to the cabled network connection setup, reboot and show the output of ip a and cat /etc/network/interfaces again.

PS: There are lots of threads on this forum about WiFi if you really want to set it up yourself but it's much harder without a working (cabled) network connection.
I simply tried the wifi adapter since the ethernet was not working the first time I tried. I definitely would prefer an ethernet connection.
I also tried limited the scope of my router's DHCP and setting the server's IP outside that to try and avoid any address conflicts. Still no results. Now here are the pictures you requested. ip a and cat /etc/network/interfaces of the new installation using the ethernet port.
Home network still on 192.168.0.0/24. Set server IP to 192.168.0.100 with default gateway at 192.168.0.1

Appreciate your time and response!
real.jpg

Also, during the installation, did it automatically get an IP from the router that you then changed, or did you have to set up all the settings?
If the former, then something hardware-related is probably to blame
if the later, it's more likely something settings-related

I am having a similar issue I'm unable to get the web GUI to work but. when I run ip a and r I don't get a no carrier message. The lights are on and flashing at the Ethernet port on both sides router and server. When I went through initial installation it had 192.168.100.1 and .2 in the boxes. I know my router is 192.168.40.1 all the stuff in my house is 192.168.40.xxx. I have set up an Ubuntu server on the exact same Ethernet cable and everything with an IP address I set at 192.168.40.69 I think, but regardless I had no issues using the web GUI for portainer and pihole on the Ubuntu server. So I have no clue what stupid detail I'm over looking.

And a side note 192.168.100.1 is how I get to my routers web GUI but because it's the ISP's I don't have access Into it.

My current settings in the boxes at installation
IP address 192.168.40.9/24
Gateway 192.168.40.1
DNS 192.168.40.1 I have also tried 8.8.8.8

NO-CARRIER implies that the cable is not working, not connected or something else is broken on the hardware level on either of the sides. Can you please test the cable and test the port on the router side?
I switched the cables entirely just in case. Now thankfully it says it is in an UP state but I still cannot access it via the IP/port from my browser. I have tried both Brave and Firefox (fresh install).
connected (1).jpg

Last edited:
Also, during the installation, did it automatically get an IP from the router that you then changed, or did you have to set up all the settings?
If the former, then something hardware-related is probably to blame
if the later, it's more likely something settings-related
It did have the default already filled in of "192.168.100.0" but I manually changed and assigned the IP address, gateway, and dns. I do think this is some sort of user-error.

I switched the cables entirely just in case. Now thankfully it says it is in an UP state but I still cannot access it via the IP/port from my browser. I have tried both Brave and Firefox (fresh install).
View attachment 73965
Looks like you gave Proxmox the IP 192.168.0.100/24. Maybe that is inside the DHCP-range of your router (since the Proxmox installer uses DHCP but Proxmox does not! )? Some routers block devices that use DHCP addresses without DHCP. Please try an IP address (within your local subnet) outside of the DHCP-range (or reserve the address in the router)?

Looks like you gave Proxmox the IP 192.168.0.100/24. Maybe that is inside the DHCP-range of your router (since the Proxmox installer uses DHCP but Proxmox does not! )? Some routers block devices that use DHCP addresses without DHCP. Please try an IP address (within your local subnet) outside of the DHCP-range (or reserve the address in the router)?
I have already set my DHCP scope in my router to end at 192.168.0.99 and was still unable to log in unfortunately.

This is what fixed my issue ip link set enp0s up. But I think mine was a different issue
1000007558.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!