UK Keyboard Issue in Console View

S

skemp

Hi,

We are running into an issue with the console view of Windows XP Guests. The Datacenter setting is set to 'English (UK)' and the windows XP guest OS is set to the correct UK settings. The settings for the VM can be set to either 'Default' or 'English UK' and the same issue exists.

If I connect to the guest machine using VNC the keyboard works correctly.

If I connect to a Ubuntu 12.04 guest the keyboard is mapped correctly.

This happens using Firefox under Solaris or Windows (Firefox itself has the correct keyboard map). I do not have another browser to test it with under these environments.

Curiously when I run: pveversion -v, I get the following output which seems a little too related to be a coincidence:

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
LANGUAGE = (unset),
LC_ALL = (unset),
LC_MESSAGES = "en_GB.UTF-8",
LC_COLLATE = "en_GB.UTF-8",
LC_CTYPE = "en_GB.UTF-8",
LANG = "en_US.UTF-8"
are supported and installed on your system.
perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
pve-manager: 2.1-1 (pve-manager/2.1/f9b0f63a)
running kernel: 2.6.32-11-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 2.0-66
pve-kernel-2.6.32-11-pve: 2.6.32-66
lvm2: 2.02.95-1pve2
clvm: 2.02.95-1pve2
corosync-pve: 1.4.3-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-2
libqb: 0.10.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.1.8-3
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-3
fence-agents-pve: 3.1.7-2
pve-cluster: 1.0-26
qemu-server: 2.0-39
pve-firmware: 1.0-15
libpve-common-perl: 1.0-27
libpve-access-control: 1.0-21
libpve-storage-perl: 2.0-18
vncterm: 1.0-2
vzctl: 3.0.30-2pve5
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.12-3
pve-qemu-kvm: 1.0-9
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1

Is there somewhere else that I need to set the locale?

Kind regards
Stephen

Sorry, i should have been clearer.

If I connect to any of the windows machines using the console viewer I get a US keyboard layout (@,#,|,",£ are missing or swapped around).

If I connect to the underlying OS using VNC then the keyboard is correctly mapped.

If I connect to a Ubuntu machine with the same keyboard settings using the console then the key mappings are ok.

How do I get the Windows machines to work with the console for a UK keyboard (the OS appears correctly configured and the settings in proxmox appear correctly configured).

Regards
Stephen

Update: This strange behavious only happened at the windows login screen. I currently have one console vnc connection to an xp login and once VNC connection to the underlying OS (both showing the same thing). If i type @ in the VNC window into the username field it shows an @, if i use the console window it shows a ".

Since the problem is not present after login I can only think it is some weird windows thing (that is shown up by the console). It is something that we can live with, but if anyone knows why the XP login prompt may behave in this way (only when using the console too!) then I would love to understand it.

Kind regards
Stephen

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!