uefi-enabled virtual computer and efidisk storage move error

ioo

Renowned Member
Oct 1, 2011
Hi!

I am in close relationship with several fine working proxmox clusters running proxmox version 6.x or 7.x software. They all seem to share this kind of property that if virtual computer is uefi kind then respective efi disk is not moveable from one storage to another while virtual machine is working. I see in forum posts many others have mentioned this phonomena also.

I understand efi kind of virtual computer's efi properties are stored by proxmox in proxmox storage in a little 4 MBait or similar resource private to the virtual machine (same storage resouces from where come virtual computer's ordinary block devices).

Among other things efidisk holds

1. custom set of secure boot related key material etc
2. fixed boot selection sequence

I imagine efidisk is constructed from those files for amd64 platform virtual computer

# dpkg -L pve-edk2-firmware | grep OVMF
/usr/share/pve-edk2-firmware/OVMF_CODE.fd
/usr/share/pve-edk2-firmware/OVMF_VARS.fd

I can't remember from where i learned that if from existing non-running uefi-kind virtual machine configuration is removed efidisk conf setting then proxmox uses those two files (i assume in read-only way) and basic uefi needs are satisfied from them and computer boots up and works fine. For my linux uefi enabled virtual machines it seems generally good enough situation (i think if in those conditions for example efibootmgr updates efi boot order from within virtual machine operation system then this does not err but it just does not persist). In general it could maybe argued that if i do not use any custom uefi stuff why to use uefi at all, i would have to think what to answer to that :)

And while on this i would like to add one personal observation. At times while i create new uefi enabled virtual machine and trying to install onto this an operating system it has hard time to boot into installer or actually anywhere. And what helps in this kind of situation is to remove efi device or to go to proxmox host shell and write this 4M storage resource over with say content from /dev/zero using say dd.

My question is still regarding of how to overcome uefi-enabled virtual computer efi disk storage move error. Would this be quite honest approach to remove efi disk from non-running virtual computer and from then onwards to run virtual computer without it? (So it uses OVMF_CODE.fd and OVMF_VARS.fd actually).

Best regards,

Imre

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!