Ubuntu server fixed ip. No network card in VM

ComfySofa

Feb 7, 2021
Hi - as above....this could be simple for some...! (hopefully)

So first and foremost this is sitting in an environment that has no DHCP server running so i need a fixed ip from the word go.....if i create a 20.04 server install (leave the networking untouched) start the server up....im still very new to linux so install the training wheels (gui) and once started up go to the top right of the screen to the network config and then in there go to the settings theres literally no network device.... its not proxmox itself as if i run up a windows 10 image i can see the network card and then in turn go and enter some fixed ip details and then, get a network connection.

I did go looking at the cloud init stuff, kind of understood but it doesnt apply to me....i dont want a bare bones image i want a standard ubuntu server with some disc space

Thanks to anyone that takes a swipe.

Comfy

HI,
if i create a 20.04 server install (leave the networking untouched) start the server up
if you used the defaults of the Network step of the WebUI VM setup process, then you should have a network interface. You can check inside your Ubuntu VM by ruinning the command
Code:
ip link show
If you did not create a network interface during the setup, you still can add one by clicking on the VM and then Hardware > Add > Network Device

I did go looking at the cloud init stuff, kind of understood but it doesnt apply to me
If you want to manually set the static IP address after setup, there is no need for cloud-init. You can add a static IP address by running for example (adapt IP, CIDR and interface name)
Code:
ip addr add 192.168.0.10/24 dev ens18

Hi Chris....thanks for the very prompt reply!. I think i have it working...i ran through the server setup but instead of letting dhcp run i went and added the ip stuff manually. So its working but at the top right if i click on the power button i see the network but it says "wired unmanaged" is that because ive added the ip manually?

PS this is in a work environment....im kinda putting together a demo for the management to see if i can get them to adopt proxmox professionally with a subscription...

Many thanks again.

Andy

Thats the idea! - i use it at home all the time now...just about to upgrade to a larger box with a Tesla p4 as i managed to get the passthrough working to from the onboard intel gpu so want to explore the gpu stuff more now...many thanks.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!