Ubuntu 24.04.1 LTS VMs getting "stuck", VNC still works but system appears to have deadlocked

Agrabren

Oct 2, 2024
I've tried everything I could find and/or think of, but I just have no idea what is going on. I have two VMs, both running Ubuntu 24.04.01, and both tend to hang after around 24 hours. I'm almost certain it's an issue with disk I/O, because console will still respond until you either type in a username (if its logged out) or while running htop, htop is actually still working until you either quit out of it (which results in a bash command prompt that works until you do anything). I've tried to gather up everything I could in case someone was willing to help me figure out what the heck is going on... The VM I captured all of this on is ID 100. I've attached the following:
Code:
pveversion -v
qm config 100
qm status 100
gdb --batch --ex 't a a bt' -p $(cat /var/run/qemu-server/100.pid)
echo '{"execute": "qmp_capabilities"}{"execute": "query-block", "arguments": {}}' | socat - /var/run/qemu-server/100.qmp | jq
I've also attached a screenshot of the kernel complaining a bit before the hang (via the console).
I've tried changing around Virt SCSI, I've tried turning on/off iothreads, I've even tried updating my microcode (no luck, I'm on latest already)

Attachments

• qm_status.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 0
  • qmconfig.txt
    523 bytes · Views: 0
  • pveversion.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 0
  • qmp_caps.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 0
  • gdb_dump_hung_vm.txt
    6 KB · Views: 0
  • ubuntu-vm-hang.png
    ubuntu-vm-hang.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!