Two NICs on a Proxmox Host and two NICs on VMs

rkkm

Sep 8, 2024
So I have a proxmox how which has two interfaces, public one with a single IP address and private one with a 10.0.1.1/24 subnet.

How do I configure Host so VMs have their own separate IP from private range as well as internet access through public IP?

For private range I already made a bridge vmbr0 which I use for management, and vms get their private IP correctly.

Perhaps I can combine Default Bridge configuration for private interface from this guide (https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#sysadmin_network_vlan) and routed configuration for public interface?

Hi, I already have the private range by the provider though, so I don't think this is my setup. I don't want to define private network for VMs and route them through Proxmox host.

My proxmox host is already in the LAN that's provided by hosting provider. It's accessible through second interface.

I made a bridge for it so VMs could also get their own IP in host provided LAN. Which works just fine. My issue is the internet access for VMs. Perhaps I can use masquerading for internet facing interface only?

Okay, I probably figured it out.
I'll also be using Gateway service for this private LAN from hosting provider, so proxmox would be in the LAN only. Could not figure out how to do it using just proxmox.

UPD: I'm using OVH vRack for Proxmox

I don't understand what you are using to "route" traffic from your "lan" network to your "public" network.

I have a system with access to a nic that I connect to a pfSense firewall (proxmox doesn't have an ip on this network) and a lan nic that the proxmox host has an IP on (and the pfSense also has this network).

As you might have guessed by now, my "router" is the pfSense firewall. All things on my "lan" route to the internet via the pfSense.

So if my network was 192.168.1.0/24 (typical home network) then my pfSense "lan" is 192.168.1.1 and will route traffic to my "wan" based on rules.

My systems would get an ip address on the 192.168.1.x network and would have a default gateway of 192.168.1.1 - my pfSense.

In your setup, you have 2 nics on your guest VMs? What, if any, default gateway are you using? If they don't get an IP address on the "public" network, how do they talk on it?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!