[SOLVED] Turn 2-disk ZFS mirror into Single Disk setup without loosing data?

jbattermann

Active Member
Jul 26, 2021
9
1
43
46
Hi there,

quick Q: I have been running a small homelab machine with Proxmox on it for the last couple of years and ran it with two additional quasi data SSDs in a ZFS mirror setup. One of those SSDs have failed and, given RMA/warranty not being a thing anymore and today's prices, I don't want to pay several thousands for a replacement.

Is there any way I can "turn" the zfs mirror into a single disk zfs setup without loosing the data? The remaining SSD is healthy & no data loss.. so I was wondering if there's a way to "convert" the mirror to a single disk one.

Thanks!

1791307996758.png
 
Just detach it: zpool detach Swissbits /dev/disk/by-id/<disk-you-want-to-remove>
Just to clarify; I believe that by /dev/disk/by-id/<disk-you-want-to-remove> , the poster refers to the non-working disk, so in your case I imagine that is the second nvme in that image above. This should cause the pool to be left with the single (working) first nvme, in a non-mirrored pool.

PLEASE NOTE: I do not use zfs!
 
  • Like
Reactions: jbattermann
So glad you got sorted!

You may want to add another ssd (even a cheap one) to that pool for redundancy, even though you will be limited in performance to the lower of the 2 drives, at least your data will be more safe.

Maybe mark this thread as Solved. At the top of the thread, choose the Edit thread button, then from the (no prefix) dropdown choose Solved.
 
Marked it and yeah.. this particular machine and data / containers on that "remaining" disk is literally just a small testing ground, so I will be fine if ... when it will inevitably wither away before SSD prices come back down.

Thanks again!